Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running 35's? How are you not rubbing?

Running 35's? How are you not rubbing?

OK I've had my 35's for a few years now, and I have added extended rear bumpstops (4" drop with 1.5" daystar bumpstops), cut my bumper side panels to allow the tire to stuff more, and I STILL am rubbing on the rear wheel wells. I have about 5" of rear susp. lift and a 2" body lift. I have been wanting to take the body lift off forever, but, I can't figure out how I would clear the 35's without taking out the wheel wells even further.

Has anyone trimmed their rear wheel wells!? I am a little concerned about doing it, and screwing it up. I Don't want the sharp edges to contact the tire.

Lastly, I my driveshaft is still whamming the gas tank, even after pounding the crap out of it. I am guessing I have to shorten the panhard bar a little bit.

Any other ideas?
    1996 4x4 4Runner<br /><br />Suspension: 6&quot; Trailmaster/Fabtech Knuckles/Sonoran Steel shocks/coils. Rear LC coils/shocks<br />Offroad: 315/75/16 MTR&#39;s, ARB, M8000, E-locker, sliders, MV-50 compressor, CBI tire carrier, Cobra CB, Kragen HID&#39;s.

Re: Running 35's? How are you not rubbing?

Quote Originally Posted by SD4runner

Has anyone trimmed their rear wheel wells!? I am a little concerned about doing it, and screwing it up. I Don't want the sharp edges to contact the tire.

This one's a 1st gen (basics are still the same), but the cleanest one I've seen ->click me<-

Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

then there's also the DeathRunner method (my personal favorite 1st gen ) - using a premade fiberglass flare for a pickup and cutting/folding the sheet metal, the benefit of this is that the fiberglass will cover up any goofs or imperfections.

This is the way I'm thinking of going as I need to carve out some rust cancer and widen tire coverage a bit.

3rd gen has rear doors people, leaves him an inch to cut and thats it
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept
    3rd gen has rear doors people, leaves him an inch to cut and thats it
    Oh yeah . . . . still could trim a bit depending on where it's rubbing. Might even be able to just grind off a bit of the lip in the wheel well if that's where it's hitting.

SD4runner, where is it hitting? pics?

Brad needs to chime in :-)

Custom Rear bumper. ~4 inches of lift. Some minor trimming with the angle grinder.

Tires still rub slightly at full stuff, but nothing to worry about.

Let's keep on the topic here, 35" tires on 3rd Gens.

All the other stuff is good, but this is the sort of thing that sidetracks threads and makes searching impossible or unproductive.

Not trying to be a jerk, let's answer the question being asked.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

To move the rear, you would have to redo all 4 links to keep the pinion angle the same so as not to cause vibration in the driveline.

I think just what Charles said should do the trick, an angle grinder to get rid of that little extra lip.

mine rubed on the rear driver side and i just beat it back with a sledge (i will be trimming both sides later on) and cause i dont have a sway bar it rubs on the gas tank tube protector inside the drivers side rear fender but not bad so i dont worry about that. no other rubbing though.

and for the gas tank skid hitting the drive shaft just take it off and cut that whole side vertical section out and it wont hit anymore.

bobby
    96 4Runner, 4in OME/LC lift (883&#039;s w/ top plate spacer, Land Cruiser&#039;s 8 coil) 2in Body Lift 315/75/16&#039;s. rear e-locker&nbsp; <br />I UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE JEEP THING THATS WHY I HAVE A TOYOTA!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast