Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New cable modem, significant speed increase

New cable modem, significant speed increase

Ah, I got a new cable modem today and am finally taking full advantage of my cable internet. I don't think 14 mbps down is too bad considering its "just" cable:

Before with the D-Link modem I was peaking at about 6mbps down and 600kbps up (DOCSIS 1.0). This Motorola modem is compatible with the DOCSIS 1.1 protocol Comcast uses out here, and goes much faster
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Re: New cable modem, significant speed increase

Nice. I think it has a lot to do with what server you test with. The one they recommend for me wasn't the fastest for me nearby (Frederick, MD). I tried Washington DC (about 4 hour drive) and got some nice results.

2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

im pretty impressed with the results, this was tested to miami though, tampa was about a 3rd of this speed.

Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

Oh it totally depends on the server used. My fastest server is Scottsdale, AZ. Albuquerque is slower, despite the fact that it's geographically closer.

I'm just happy that I got faster internet. I was starting to get very frustrated with my old modem, it kept dropping connection and wasn't going as fast as I felt I should be going... for $60/mo anyway.
    Brian
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

I had that way back when, then everyone else got cable modems and of course the speed drops.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

just because I feel left out, this is from the server in Atlanta, geographically, well right on top of me.
    I have comcast also.

-Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I am closest to the one that is in Newark, DE about 20 min from me here in PA,

Comcast

by the by I am going through 2 different routers before the connection actually reaches my PC....

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    I am closest to the one that is in Newark, DE about 20 min from me here in PA,

Try the one in DC. I'm curious what it nets for you.

Umm, wow that's fast...
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Tested my speed this evening through Denver, things are looking very fine indeed

Edit: Uh oh, tested again and nudged out YotaFun...

Brian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast