Thread: Wiring harness help

Wiring harness help

Ok, I have 2000 Toyota 4runner and picked up a new Pioneer CD player (single DIN) from Crutchfield. So I go ahead and wire up the harness that came with the radio (the single harness for the back of the new stero and the two adaptor harness that were supplied with the install kit) ad yes I read the direction.

Went ahead and pulled the stero apart tonight and to my surpise I have one single harness plugged into the back of the OEM deck (cd and cassette deck). The harness is slightly larger than the largest of the supplied harness.

With a stumped look on face and some confusion I put it all back together and came to this point. Now I have a few questions -

1. Should there be two wiring harness hooked into the factory deck?

2. Why would the factory harness be larger than the supplied harness?

3. Where could I find a larger single harness adaptor?

4. I have to idea what I'm doing and should jus bang my head into a wall. (just kidding)

Hopefully, this makes since.
    2000 Toyota 4runner with some goodies.

Re: Wiring harness help

sounds like they just gave you the wrong harness . . . call them up and explain it to them, they should send you a new one
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Your going to need to dig deeper....That harness that connects to the back of the OEM unit is from the OEM amp...follow that harness and it should lead you to it and on the back of that little amp is the Main wiring harness you are looking for.

This is what you are looking for:

97 4runner Limited<br />2wd---&gt;4wd Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by iceman601
    Your going to need to dig deeper....That harness that connects to the back of the OEM unit is from the OEM amp...follow that harness and it should lead you to it and on the back of that little amp is the Main wiring harness you are looking for.

This is what you are looking for:

Nope, mine doesn't look like that in the back, there are two places for a harness to connect two (separated by a couple inches and one's slightly higer than the other) and two aux jacks on the right handside (one has the antenna connected to it and the other has another aux jack plugged into it, amp).

Only one of the harness connectors slots is being used the other is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    sounds like they just gave you the wrong harness . . . call them up and explain it to them, they should send you a new one
    That's what I thought at first but after looking at other harness from other suppliers they all show the same harnesses that crutchfield supplied.

Pulled this off Bob's website (thanks)which I hope helps to explain it.

If you scroll down to step 1 (http://www.4runners.org/writeups/headunit/index.html) there's a diagram showing the wiring. I have M1 and M2 spliced into SH (the harness that came with the new radio).

Now the problem is that I have no T2 harness only T1 and the M1 harness is to small to connect to T1 (M2 is half the size of M1).

I had this same problem on my 97.
    I only had one huge plug and not the two smaller ones.

So I took it to a pro shop and what then ended up doing was adding in the two plug harness into my existing one.

I don't know why Toyota did this, I don't know if its because the amp was built into the stereo before or if its just different (obviously) then the two plug harness

Um.....it probable would've help if I had removed the factory amp.

Remove the amp and everything plugged in just fine, sounds good.

Just need to fix my antenna andrun pwr to my CB.

Thanks fot the help guys.