Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Mileage Woes

Gas Mileage Woes

You probably all ready the title and said, "here we go again"
    But this thread is a legit issue.

My truck has been getting horrible gas mileage since the summer, and has only gotten progressivly worse.

Back in July 08 a week before Northeast Takeover, The truck threw a check engine light went off, and the code that it threw was an P0133 "Bank 1 Sensor 1 Slow Response" we will come back to that later.
    But the trucks gas mileage stuck firm at 16 mpg city and highway.

The weekend of the trip I got a budbuilt front skid, and the mileage still stayed the same.

After the trip I did a 130K service which included the following:
    - Oil Change (Mobile 1 Full Synthetic)
    - Oil Filter (Napa Gold larger filter)
    - Denso Plugs from the Dealer
    - Bosch Plug Wires
    - Air Fiter (stock till I get the cleaner for the TrueFlow)
    - Seafoam through both intake and gas tank.
    - Cleaned Throttle Body
    - Cleaned MAF

Hoping the mileage would come back I was sorely disappointed.
    So I figured it had to be the o2 but the CEL never came back until every oil change...

Next I thought it must be the alignment, but I stalled on that cause I never had the money cause it was all going into the tank!

So I have lived with it.
    But then gas mileage started to get worse and got down to a 14-15 mpg city and highway.

The next mod I did was the locker at a 143K.
    Which in loved me changing diffs and I changed to 4.30 gear ratio.
    I also went to 265/75/16 tires, still BFG ATs
    Also changed the rear seals and adjusted the rear brakes cause one was sticking and the other was loose.

So when I did that I was hoping I would see a better or worse.
    No change, noticed a bit of higher RPM at highway speed but that's it.

So finally enough was enough, I talked to the guy at the Toyota section of school and decided to get the alignment done and get the 02 sensor changed.
    Also got new steering rack and ploy bushings put in.

The truck runs great and drives great but my mileage has still gone worse!
    13-14 mpg both city and highway.

I am at wits end with this!
    I change the oil every 5K and do a can of seafoam through the gas tank as well as clean the MAF and TB.
    Every 10K I do seafoam through the throttle body.

So what is it.

I even reverted the intake back to stock and took the skid off and everything out of the truck making it almost like it rolled off the show room floor (just lifted) for a week.

the truck is at 144K now...

Any ideas?
    Truck still runs great and drives like a dream.

But I see that gas gauge drop faster then a hummers it seems...

Am I insane?
    I didn't think I would loose this much!
    I know its just not winter gas since this issue started in the summer.

What could it be?

Re: Gas Mileage Woes

i got <14mpg with mine. before getting here, the exact same rig runs 16mpg.
    94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGen
    i got <14mpg with mine. before getting here, the exact same rig runs 16mpg.
    I should have mentioned this in my original post.
    Before this issue, after a fresh oil change, proper tire pressure and air filter clean, I use to get close to 19 in the city and close to 22 on the highway.

Its more that it is a constant gas mileage, its not just on the city side but highway too.
    It wont get any better or worse from highway to city...

i thought winter fuel may be one of the reasons, but there's no difference showing on my wife's RAV4.

i made 16+ mpg average on the way from L.A. to Indy, remember i went thru those mountain roads in NV, UT, CO, while carrying a very heavy load, stuffed cargo bay, 2 full size spare tires, roof rack with gas can, Hi-Lift. it was so heavy, the rear suspension compressed 4 and half inches sitting still.

short after i arrived Indy, the tranny broke down with one shattered bearing, i had a local shop did a complete tranny rebuilt with all OEM parts. the tank before the rebuilt was 12mpg, after that it was 14mpg. i bought a ScangaugeII just to monitor the fuel consumption, so far it sits around 14.1mpg.

in the past 8000 miles, i have had these replaced, all Toyota parts:
    Clutch, both CV's, rear axle seals, rear, wheel bearings, A/F sensor, O2 sensor, plugs, Toyota red coolant, wires, fresh air filter.

also, cleaned MAF, greased drive shaft, all synthetic fluids, deck plate, seafoam, brand new set of BFG A/T KO tires.

i'm considering these next:

1.) fuel filter
    2.) pull all the injectors out to have them cleaned professionally
    3.) front wheel bearings.
    94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.

Reponses in red

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGen
    I thought winter fuel may be one of the reasons, but there's no difference showing on my wife's RAV4.

I ruled out winter fuel since the problem has been in existence since the summer.

i made 16+ mpg average on the way from L.A. to Indy, remember i went thru those mountain roads in NV, UT, CO, while carrying a very heavy load, stuffed cargo bay, 2 full size spare tires, roof rack with gas can, Hi-Lift. it was so heavy, the rear suspension compressed 4 and half inches sitting still.

This issue is that I am getting a stead MPG both city on highway, when I feel I should be getting better highway mileage. I could be loaded, unloaded, stripped clean on the interior and still get 13-14 miles to the gallon

short after i arrived Indy, the tranny broke down with one shattered bearing, i had a local shop did a complete tranny rebuilt with all OEM parts. the tank before the rebuilt was 12mpg, after that it was 14mpg. i bought a ScangaugeII just to monitor the fuel consumption, so far it sits around 14.1mpg.

Thank god the trans still feels solid, there is no drivability issues, the truck runs and feels like new

in the past 8000 miles, i have had these replaced, all Toyota parts:
    Clutch, both CV's, rear axle seals, rear, wheel bearings, A/F sensor, O2 sensor, plugs, Toyota red coolant, wires, fresh air filter.

Auto Trans, Fluid changed every 30K, forgot to include that up top till I woke up this morning. Cv's are good, rear axle seals replaced, front and rear diff replaced, MAF still good, rear o2 was changed at 115k the front changed at 144k both due to failure and a code being thrown, again plugs and wires at 130k coolant i should change back to Toyota red, air filter is new.

also, cleaned MAF, greased drive shaft, all synthetic fluids, deck plate, seafoam, brand new set of BFG A/T KO tires.

Clean the MAF and grease the drive shafts every oil change, always use synthetic in all fluids, currently intake including air box back to stock to see if it helps at all.

i'm considering these next:

1.) fuel filter
    2.) pull all the injectors out to have them cleaned professionally
    3.) front wheel bearings.

I would love to change the fuel filter, but unfortunately the threads on the engine side of the line for the filter have been cross threaded, so I have to think of a way to change it. I planned on doing the injectors when I go to do the timing belt and water pump in the spring, the timing belts was last changed at 60K so I think it is due.
    I am just stupified at what else could possible be the issue.
    Could it be something ECU wise, I mean I am not noticing any issues in the drive and power of the truck...

If it helps put you mind at ease, I get the same MPG no matter how or where I drive.
    85 mph highway cruising - 19 mpg
    55 mph highway cruising - 19 mpg
    city stop and go - 19 mpg
    driving like an a-hole on back roads - 19 mpg
    65 mph towing 3500 lbs did drop it to 17 mpg
    offroad also dropped it, but not sure how much

BTW, when you decide to get your injectors serviced, I would recommend Witch Hunter - I haven't used them personally, but I have read many good reviews of them. The Witch Hunter site also has alot of good information on it (including pictures & injector flow rates )
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

I cause my concern is that before all of this I did have a difference in mileage, When I drove like an a-hole, or down back roads, or in the city
    I got 16-19 and 19-22 on the highway
    Depending on the interval of the oil changed.

I don't knoe maybe i am going insane, but I still think for a truck that is rated at 16 city 19 highway, I should be getting better then 13 or 14....

Did you take tire size difference into account? I remember you saying you had different tires for Takeover, not sure if they were the same size though . . .

Also, alignment will have an effect on how easy it rolls and offroading doesn't improve an alignment
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Well this problem was before the new tires and diff.

I thought it might be the alignment too so I got that done recently but its still horrible.

The gear ratio I have is 4.30
    The tire size I have is 265/75/16 that have about 60-70% tread left

We were discussing this at length the other day, just cant figure it out. like my vibration he has mpg issues lol..
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast