Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking to improve the handling and steering...

looking to improve the handling and steering...

hey guys. im looking to improve the overall handling of the 4runner and wanted to get a couple of opinions on the best way to do so on a tight budget.

iv been surfing on a couple different websites and saw a couple things on wheelersoffroad.com that i think might do the trick.

the 4Runner Anti-Sway Kit and Polyurethane Steering Rack Bushing Kit. does anyone have an experience with either or both of these kits? what is the degree of difficulty installing these kits? any input would be great, since i would like to order one or both of these kits this week. thanks

2002 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition<br />Old Man Emu : Sonoran Steel : ToyTec : Nitto : Yakima:&nbsp; OEM

Re: looking to improve the handling and steering...

You're going to want a thicker sway bar. Addco used to make one.

I have the poly bushings on my truck and they rule!
    Steering has never been better.

I might have to look into the anti sway kit.
    The truck leans way too much now

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun

i imagine they werent too difficult to install?
    2002 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition<br />Old Man Emu : Sonoran Steel : ToyTec : Nitto : Yakima:&nbsp; OEM

Quote Originally Posted by cros
    Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun

i imagine they werent too difficult to install?
    id give replacing the rack bushings 3/5 wrenches for difficulty because of the awkward position you need to be in to do them. not as hard as an engine swap, but not as easy as replacing brakes. you have to apply a fair amount of torque to the bolts to get them loose (this on a non rust california vehicle) and you will need some very large sockets(22mm, deep)

its doable, should take you a few hours, just start early saturday in case you run into problems and need longer to finish the job.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Idk if you guys are talking about the rear sway bars but my dads got a heavier one on his runner and I love the way that thing handles...

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba
    Idk if you guys are talking about the rear sway bars but my dads got a heavier one on his runner and I love the way that thing handles...
    Think he is referring to the front since he is talking about steering.
    I think I might go hook up my front swaybar endlinks back on today...

Do they even havea thicker sway bar for teh front?

Poly Bushings tightened things up here! 3/5 wrenches sounds about right. just did it about a month ago (while replacing inner rack end)

tools needed:
    deep 22mm socket
    deep/shallow 19mm sockets
    18" breaker bar
    150 ft/lb torque wrench
    small mm socket (8/9/10- don't remember) to remove stud on pass. side of rack.

Like Sean said, it's awkward working under there on your back. I was sore the next day because of the weird ways your body is in while tightening/loosening bolts/nuts. (esp to 100+ ft/lbs!)

my post from when i did the work:
    http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...64683#msg64683
    1996 SR5 4Runner
    3.4 5speed 4x4 165k

. . . just remember sway bars should be done in front-rear sets. if you install just a thicker front the truck will "tighten" up (more understeer or push in a turn), a thicker rear by itself will "loosen" up the chassis (more oversteer). It's generall considered safer to have a "tight" set-up because the back end will be less likely to pass the front in slick situations or emergency manuevers - this is how 99% of factory suspensions come (slight push in the corners).
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

I know it's sin but please read through the following thread, really excellent reference points in there:

http://www.yotatech.com/f2/addco-ant...lution-117834/
    &#39;96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast