Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: broken upper link

Re: broken upper link

single case with 4.7 gears
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 20005spd
    single case with 4.7 gears
    So I am guessing an adapter from inchworm to run a older gear style case so you have the right drop?
    Or maybe a t100 case?

I was thinking the same thing, doing single case low gears.
    Gear driven out of the older pickups and 4Runners...

i plan on using the big pedal and skinny pedal for my crawl box
    trd supercharger rear elocker 4.30 gears

either marlin or inchworm adapter, 4.7s from marlin, and i have a top shift case from an 88 pickup already

Quote Originally Posted by 4runfun
    i plan on using the big pedal and skinny pedal for my crawl box
    shouldnt be to bad with an auto

I just broke my third, yes THIRD upper rear link on my 2001 4runner. It always happens at the weld. The weld always breaks off pretty clean. Like it was said before it always appears to be a lack of penetration.
    This is getting old... I can't even find anymore upper links in Phoenix, AZ!!

I off-road a lot, but come on links. Hold it together!

Heres an idea, where they break if its on the weld-why not weld a sleeve over it?
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    Heres an idea, where they break if its on the weld-why not weld a sleeve over it?
    How would you sleeve it? A break in the center of a tube I'm familiar with sleeving, but not at the contact point.

Honestly, the only reason I didn't do something on the first two breaks is because I assumed that when my truck was made I got some bad welds that didn't penetrate. When I replaced them with earlier year links from a junk yard I thought I was in the clear.

Not sure if leaving the rear sway bar off helped to torque the metal. I was offroading 1 to 2 hundred miles a day over the last 10 months though while working for the forest service so I know that would have put more wear on them than most folks.

No worry though. I'm going to take some 1 inch chromoly and reuse the bushings/housing to make some stronger fellas.

I guess I should have bought a hummer for real offroading.

just kidding

Hmm, maybe do this. Sleeve them as close as you can near the end then weld a whole bit at the end onto the sleeve? I dunno tbh what else to do.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

hey SOAZ, just make up some brand new links. copy my design it works fine. just beef up your upper link mounts on the axle so you dont bend them like i did. the stock links are completely inadequate for wheeling. if you choose to weld new tube or something to the old links, just remember your bushing is going to melt while welding unless you replace them or take them out if its easily possible.

Thanks. I was worried about it melting. I'll see if I can get my hands on some heims locally.
    Did you replace the tabs on the housing or just beef them up with a bit of plate??

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast