Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Project

New Project

Well I have started another project....it's not quite a vehicle yet...but it will have the ability to move a vehicle very quickly after i am done with it.

Picked up this 78' Chevy 350 4 bolt yesterday pretty cheap...

I have the heads and intake to it but the heads are junky ones (after researching the casting numbers)so they will be sold pretty cheap to some lucky soul around here.

Yeh...the bores look pretty rusty but the pistons move freely within them, so that is great! Also researched the block and it has 10% nickel content in it so it's good for a nice performance build (noticed the 010 by the oil filter housing).
    This will be stroked to a 383 and I am shooting for somewhere around 600-650 horse and nice stump pulling torque. I am going to document all of my numbers here as well if someone is willing to do this same build for their yota to have some awesome power out of it! Gas mileage....Pfffffffft forget that!

I pulled the oil pan just a while ago.....i held my breath in fear of getting robbed...but it was true!

4 bolt mains!

I originally wanted a 2 bolt to get machined for 4 bolt splayed caps but i opted for this 4 bolt instead. Me pulling a freeze plug..

So far I know I want all forged internals so if I want to force a little more air into it, the components will take the pressure. I will be pulling everything out tomorrow evening and give it a nice bath. Then it is off to the machine shop to be sonic tested, bored checked for thickness, and given another extensive bath. Then the machine work such as notching out the bottoms of the cylinders for the longer stroke rods from the 400 that will be purchased a little later (when funds permit).

This will be a long term build just because it will probably wind up being a budget eater. After it is done, it will be ready to drop into something with a beefier tranny and rear end to handle the torque.

Hope you all enjoy and I will document all numbers and machining I have done here.

Oh yeh...of course everything will be powder coated! I am powder coating the block, but only after researching the temp handling of certain powers because this motor will run a little on the hotter side of life.

Katy is very involved in this build as well (being around NO solvents!) She wrenches tho! Dirty girl...
    Quote Originally Posted by fustercluck View Post
    I like sporking from behind.   

Re: New Project

nice, nice, nice motor.

Nothing better than a chevy 350 and a 4 bolt main means its usually from a truck or higher performance car-even better.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Sweet Find J!
    Can't wait to see the progress dude.
    And those engines are so simple to work on, we actually work on them in the hot rod section of my schooling, so when I get there and learn little tips to get more power out of them I will gladly share my info.

I want to see pics of Katy wrenching :-)

Nice! I hope you'll document all of the progress for those of us who must enjoy this vicariously....It's been over twenty years since I built American muscle.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

4 bolts are nice...but I wanted to shoot for more HP and torque from a 2 bolt with splayed caps, but I think this 4 bolt will hold up fine.

Ever tried carrying a full block minus the heads with only 2 people? My back is killing me today...I believe a dolly is in the budget to add to the tool bin to cart this thing around to the machine shop!
    I like sporking from behind.&nbsp; &nbsp;

A dolly can be made of some slats of oak and some HD caster wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    A dolly can be made of some slats of oak and some HD caster wheels.
    I don't trust my woodworking abilities....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by callmej75

You gotta be kidding me, 4 slats of oak thats an inch thick and 4 caster wheels? screwed together??

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by callmej75

You gotta be kidding me, 4 slats of oak thats an inch thick and 4 caster wheels? screwed together??
    It has to have big wheels to take up the rear steps of my basement. Then across the yard into the Van. Small casters would not suffice for this small trip. Would just sink up in the yard. I believe my neighbor has a dolly....

I am truly interested. Great project.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast