Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Project

Re: New Project

Well she is stripped, minus the freeze plugs in the rear of the block which i will get to tomorrow when i take it off the stand.

My little helper with the timing cover and chain...

Taking off the rod bolts...

The crankshaft bearings looked great and no scoring on the crank journals or block

Oh forgot...heres the first piston out...

Here is how she sits now...

I has a peeper..

Well thats all for now folks...stay tuned as tomorrow it will all be degreased! Gonna have the shop take the cam bearings out and put some new ones in as well. Cylinder walls looked good besides for some rust issues which boring will take care of that.

Quote Originally Posted by fustercluck View Post
    I like sporking from behind.   

Quote Originally Posted by 4runnerchevy
    I am truly interested. Great project.
    I was awaiting your presence!

This will definitely be a strong reliable build that will withstand nitrous or be blown....

Had my eyeball on some aluminum rods today...they're purty!

haha katy is sure lookin purdy there!!!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

My little helper with the timing cover and chain...

I has a peeper..

Ok, Just for the record, i didnt just stand there and look cute for pictures(though i am pretty good a that)....lol

I helped take the heads off yesterday and pulled the oil pan. Today we pretty much tackled everything together, taking the whole bottom end out. So i can officially say now that i know a motor inside and out even though i had a pretty good idea all along....

I cant do alot because the doc wants me to take it easy for the next couple weeks, i over exerted myself and had a little scare but we went to the dr today and saw the baby twitching so all is good...lol

Ok.....ON WITH THE BUILD!! WOOOOOOOO!

Quote Originally Posted by Euphorickaty80
    I cant do alot because the doc wants me to take it easy for the next couple weeks, i over exerted myself and had a little scare but we went to the dr today and saw the baby twitching so all is good...lol
    YOU GO TO THE DOCTOR AND I DON'T GET A CALL!?!?!?!
    Just kidding, glad to hear everything is good though, and good to see you looking healthy and working on that mo

Looking good J! This thread is gonna cost me plenty if I get the muscle car bug again...

By the way, Katy you are looking FINE baby! Hehe.

For the record, I lifted my 400 small block BY MYSELF and carried it across the garage. ...'course I was 21....hehe.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Ok heres the info on the numbers...

Here is the block number casting on the rear of the motor

Screen shot of code from a chart online

Here is how to determine the tin and nickel content of the block that would make it suitable for high performance builds. It is a 010 or a 020 which represents 10% or 20^ of the tin and nickel content. It is behind the timing chain cover...

On the side of the block

And under the oil filter housing

The head casting code is on the inside of the head

As you can see here, this number casting is crack prone. Heads no good to me...besides they will be replaced with some nice high flow aluminum heads!

Here is the fun part...with this info, see if some one can tell me where this block was manufactured, what date it was manufactured, and what year and what did this motor come out of by this code?

Quote Originally Posted by fustercluck
    Looking good J! This thread is gonna cost me plenty if I get the muscle car bug again...

By the way, Katy you are looking FINE baby! Hehe.

For the record, I lifted my 400 small block BY MYSELF and carried it across the garage. ...'course I was 21....hehe.
    You are NUTZ! I woulda dragged that 400 on the oil pan...

Manufactured in Flint, Michigan on October 14, 1978. Model is a Pickup (I think).

Edit: Read year wrong.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Correct...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast