Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pleas help me diagnose my vibration

Re: Pleas help me diagnose my vibration

The mirror reference is only a clue. In my 84, the rear view mirror would start to vibrate vertically at between 25 and 30 MPH and increased in severity as my truck rolled faster. I was able to isolate the possibilities based on the direction the mirror vibrated and the characteristics of the vibrating mirror. As I watched it, I noted that it vibrated consistently with the speed of the wheels and not of the reciprocating mass of the engine. It also did not vary with the direction I turned. In the end, I determined that the vibration had to be isolated to the rear axle. I took them out and had them spun on a lathe. That's where we found the wobble. It was so slight that a visual slow roll inspection could not discern it. But a fast spin and a trueness gauge spotted it immediately.

Just a thought, although I think by sheer elimination, you are already there.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Fuster, mirror doesnt vibrate alot. Not anymore than it usual it seems, its not vibrating so bad I can literally see it shake like those with a sound system.

Okay heres whats happened recently:
    The mech who replaced the one axle shaft for some reason the damned axle seal keeps leaking, been back 2x now.

So next week the truck is getting cab mounts as they are SEVERELY bad (I can yank them all over the place). Then its a toss up what to do next:
    -motor mounts cause they are cracked and dry rotted, and separated somewhat
    -Drivers axle shaft, which costs a buttload.

A friend at a shop said he would do it all, so who knows the exact costs but I will have it done. If all else fails and I cannot fix it a guy who exports toyotas to mexico said he would buy it for 4500 or so and then its outta my hands and its a toss up between a 04+ tundra (the one with more hp/tq), an older tundra, older F250 (pre super duty), or another T100.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I'd be willing to bet Avy's runner that it's the other rear axle...
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Hmmm. This just popped into my spinning brain. Tell me how your tires wear (especially the fronts).
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Quote Originally Posted by fustercluck
    Hmmm. This just popped into my spinning brain. Tell me how your tires wear (especially the fronts).
    No issues with front or rear tire wear, infact they wore very well and evenly.

Okay, well sometimes the ball joints can get dry and loose. sometimes the vibration caused by that can feel like it originated elsewhere.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Nah BJ are brand new pretty much.

I think by sheer elimination we're down to the driver side rear axle shaft...
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Quote Originally Posted by fustercluck
    I think by sheer elimination we're down to the driver side rear axle shaft...
    Can I say it again PLEASE!?!?!?!?
    I TOLD YOU SO!!!!

lol

You know, Avy, I bet you runner that it is the rear axle, so........let's hope we're right. Hehe.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast