Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions About Other Possible Upgrades For The 3rd Gen 4Runners

Questions About Other Possible Upgrades For The 3rd Gen 4Runners

Lately I have been just studying my 4Runner,
    Literally sitting there and just looking at it.
    Also I have been browsing the sites on at upgrades available to the 3rd Gens.

There is the obvious Tundra Caliper Upgrade as far as braking power.
    And then for the 96-98 folks there is the 99+ interior mod upgrades.
    The Ford F150 tank in the rear.

But some other things have been kind of popping up in my mind.\
    There just ideas that I would like to just throw out there, see if I am not the only one possibly thinking of them.

One:
    In regards to interior upgrades:
    More along the lines for the 96 & 97 4Runners.
    Is it possible to change the steering wheel out to the 98+ Runners?
    Just an idea, its not really a pressing matter but just a thought, would be nice to have the 4 spoke steering wheel.

Another possible interior upgrade question is the gauge cluster, again in regards to the 96 & 97 autos, would it be possible to put in the 98 gauge cluster?
    Would be nice to see the gear selection on the dash as well.
    I have asked this question before, and got a vague answer that it was not possible.
    However I am still curious, I have the wiring diagram for my truck, but having an issues finding the 98, I believe it is possible, just requires a little changing of the gauge harness.

Now recently I purchased a turn signal stalk from a 01 4Runner with a fog light switch on it.
    While the plug fits and all functions 9well normal functions minus the fog lights) work, the stalk itself does not fit in the location, (yet).
    With a little modification it will fit perfectly, I know this wasn't really a question, but it was an upgrade that I did that the 96-98 guys could consider if they want to free up some slots on the dash for lights or a locker, etc.

Two:
    In regards to power.
    I am sure a few of you have noticed that the 3.4l 4Runners come with a stock 183 horsepower, but the Tacoma's come with 190hp.
    Maybe I am miss reading my info from certain sites, but I was curious.
    Anyone ever consider switching out the 4Runner ECM for the Tacoma one?
    I presume there is nothing else done to the 3.4l in the Tacoma's compared to the 4Runners, hence my suggestion of the ECU.

Three:
    In regards to gas tank upgrades.
    I know that BruceTS has graciously shared the availability of putting a tank from a Ford F150 in the rear allowing for more clearence on the belly.
    And Good Times (even though his is on a 4th gen application) has shown us the availability of a fuel cell in the same location in the rear.

However, while talking to a Nissan friend of mine, and taking some measurements of his 1992 Pathfinder, the idea popped in my head to use a Pathfinder tank.
    The capacity of the tank is 22 Gallons, 4 gallons more then stock, which would be very nice to have, and still fits nice and snug where the rear spare use to be.
    Anyone else ever consider a different tank like such?
    Is it even possible? I know this is a Toyota forum but curious if anyone might have any ideas or any clue where i could get specs on the gas tank and pump so i could compare it with our 3rd gens.

Sorry if this seems very jumbled together, kind of just letting my mind flow lately and want to get all the thoughts before I loose them for another few months.

Lets discuss!

Re: Questions About Other Possible Upgrades For The 3rd Gen 4Runners

1 - steering... I think you can swap it with anything Just a matter of making sure the adapter plugs are the same.

2 - the diff in hp has to do with the exhaust manifold, exhaust, ecu and other "smaller" differences that makes for the hp difference. I doubt you'll notice that much difference chasing down these numbers. You're better off just going with an aftermarket exhaust, header and go the normal performance mods to get the gains. Actually just go SC :P

3 - nissan, isuzu, gm and other tanks should work. the biggest headache will be the wiring. it appears the ford wiring is easier to use in comparison to others (my initial research). bottom line a tank is a tank but the end game is the fuel pump / fuel electronics that you'll need to deal with
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Navigator

3 - i spent some time looking at an Isuzu Trooper tank that looks like it would work... havent done any more research on it tho, as i have another project floating around in my mind
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

4 - the addition of entry handles for rear passengers.

just something im working on and will post up detailed instructions when i get there.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Lance:
    I figured as much on he steering wheel.
    I will try to get to the toyota lab and start doing some digging.
    I have no issues with mine, just after driving stepdads the others day, it was all nice nice.

On the issue of the taco's having more horses the the runners, I only take into consideration what I have heard from others who have switched from a 4Runner to a Tacoma, they notice a difference, but then again, I personally haven't.
    I could have swore the 3.4 in he taco's and runners were identical and all that was different was the ecu programing.
    I was actually going to pick up a set of headeds from a taco cause min seem to be rusting out.
    I guess I should go in and see what other tiny differences there really is.
    I would supercharge but I am actually going to do the on board air mod which takes place of where the supercharger pulley would go.
    That's why I came up with this idea in my head.

As for the tank, after readimg my post that's the answer I would have said LOL.
    I figured it would be a matter of wiring, I guess my question should have been has anyone wired a nissan pump in?

Sean, quick easy way to do those handles, get them off of a 98 lincoln navigator, my aunt has on and I was looking at them and it looks like it would be perfect to just screw in.

One of the best/cheap suspension upgrades I did was changing the rear control arms out to Heim rod ends on axle side.

God speed,<br />Steve Hanson<br />Racers For Christ<br />Rockcrawlers For Christ<br />www.teamrfc.org<br />--------------------<br />special thanks: bfgoodrich|trail gear|cbi fabrication|total chaos|arb|sway-a-way|aem electronics|lucas oil|trd|baja racks|bassani exhaust|spidertrax

What about options for automatic transmission upgrades? I remember reading about Gadget upgrading his for extra horsepower.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

I will be doing that for the upper links shortly,
    my lower links are the old rubicon experess like offered with the old system 1.51.
    They have greatly improved my flex in the rear as is and have tanked a major beating and still are straight and true.
    However I do need to replace the insides of the joints, due to my stupidity of not greaseing them every oil change the joints got dirty and no lack of a better term went dry, hence causeing the metal to wear away.

In the next few weeks I will be picking off of a local 99 highlander edition 4runner that was I a roll to complete some of my interior upgrades, which be the hood scoops hood, 99+ head lights (currently have a busted passenger headlamp) and the last remaining interior piece I need minus the steering wheel till I can research that a little more.

I should see if it came with the fog light switch on the stalk and may e get the bracketry for it I stead of modifying mine.

I thought the auto trans from 96-98 were the strongest for the 4Runners?
    Did he use a Tacoma or T100 trans?

I am trying to pair these upgrades in the class of bring the 3rd gen (or at least mine) up to be a little more modern and trying to figure the slight horsepower differences.
    I considered the valve body upgrade a while back, but just can't justify the price since I am not supercharging.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich_870
    What about options for automatic transmission upgrades? I remember reading about Gadget upgrading his for extra horsepower.

Erich
    I don't know about gadget, but some folks shimmed the valve body to get harder shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey
    I don't know about gadget, but some folks shimmed the valve body to get harder shifts.
    I think he upgraded the valve body some how. He was running a super charged 3.4L with all of the fuel upgrades and the did some expensive custom work on the tranny. I was wondering if anyone looked into more middle of the road improvements.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast