Thread: 2001 4runner Transmission question

2001 4runner Transmission question

hi guys,
    i was sent here from another forum that I belong to. I have an 01 4runner 4x4 that needs to have the automatic transmission replaced. My question is if all years for the 3rd gen are compatible, or do I need to stick with the 01-02 years. second part is if anyone knows a good source for a transmission as well.
    thank you,
    Roger

Re: 2001 4runner Transmission question

Glad to see you made it over here! Welcome to the community! Have a look around at all the cool stuff while you're here.

It would help to know where you are located, but most of us use http:\\www.carpart.com or find stuff on craigslist or find someone parting out a vehicle.

Goodluck!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Thanks Seanzorz,
    I tried doing a search to look for the info but was unable to find what i was looking for. just trying to find out what year 4runner transmissions are compatible.

fixer,

what are some of the symptoms that you are experiencing? and what did the person do to determine that your transmission needed to be replaced?

to further the discussion along faster, ill post what i know from his thread on ExPo.

the truck refuses to move under its own power, all gears feel as if it was in neutral.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

exactly as Sean said. no movement at all. we disconnected the solenoid harness to see if it would shift manually, and it did not. almost feels like the torque converter is locked. pulled a o775 code, which leads to a bad solenoid. at this point we just assume the tranny is no good. I found one from a 2000 limited but i am not positive that they are compatible.

Could the 4runner even be started if the torque converter is locked? Seems like it would just want to stall, unless maybe if it was stuck in neutral.

If your problem is just a solenoid, you should be able to just replace the solenoid.

Hope you get it figured out though....I'm in the same boat and have some bad solenoids in my 2nd gen tranny. Wish I knew more about these, but this is a great learning opportunity!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Do you have any grinding noise at all?
    Stepdad's 02 Sport Edition Trans went,
    and when it did first there was some grinding and then nothing,
    you would put it in any gear and it would just rev and go nowhere.

His wasn't a solenoid, it was actually the OD Planetary gear that failed, which seems to be becoming a common problem on the 01&02 4Runners.

I am not 100% sure but I think only 01-02 trans will work, I thought I read on Yotatech once about it, cause it had something to do with the input shaft length or something along those lines, don't quote me on it though.

actually limited edition autos from 99 and 00 will work too.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

some more background - the 4runner starts fine, runs like a clock, the actual shifter itself will shift. it feels as though it is under load. sorry I am not sure how else to describe it. it is not slipping like a normal transmission would slip, where the rpm's just rev. It does give me the code for the solenoid, but from what i have read, if i disconnect the solenoid harness, it should shift manually. in this case, we did do that and it still would not shift. I have read about the planetary gear issue and that may be the cause. I really will not know until we actually drop the tranny.

Lee,
    thanks for the heads up on the limited transmissions. I have a lead on a low mileage one and am hopefull that will work. Once I drop the old transmission we have a shop that builds racing transmissions. I will take the old one and see if they can rebuild it so i can have one as a spare, just in case.

Roger