Thread: Running Windows 7 64-bit now

Running Windows 7 64-bit now

So I've been thinking about going to Vista Ultimate 64bit for a while now, but after talking to my uncle who works at Microsoft I dowloaded the Windows 7 RC (Release Candidate) 64-bit.
    Windows 7 RC Download Link

So far, I'm liking it! I just put together a new computer with 4 gigs of ram and an Athlon 64 X2 processor, and have been itching to take full advantage of the ram especially (I'll be upgrading to 8GB soon, along with a GeForce GTX 260). Overall, it's a good upgrade from trusty Windows XP Pro, although searching for drivers for the 64-bit system may prove difficult for some of my legacy hardware.

The RC is good until next summer, at which point you either have to go back or buy the released Windows 7 at that time. Definitely worth it IMO, as long as you don't mind making a dual-boot partition or formatting you hard drive (like I did).
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Re: Running Windows 7 64-bit now

i have the disc ready to install when i get a chance. everything ive read has been very positive!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I'm going to have to try it out. I've heard good stuff about it too.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I have heard excellent remarks about Windows 7,
    Just don't have a PC capable enough to run it.

Maybe by the time I get a new laptop, it will already come preinstalled.

so, i don't know the details, but what is the advantage of windows 7 over vista?
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Basically win 7 is what should have been released as vista. It's a complete rework of the os. Features and UI are similar, much faster and less taxing on the system.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

excellent!
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Cant wait

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Wikipedia has an entry for Windows 7 that explains how it compares to Vista & XP.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7

Vista has worked "okay" for me but the startup and shutdown times lately seem like they have doubled. Windows 7 is advertised as being much quicker at those tasks. The fact that there are positive comments out there on the new OS is a good sign.

I have both 64bit Vista & 64bit Win7. I like them both, have nothing against Vista once you turn off UAC.
    Win7 seems a lot quicker, that's for sure. It also comes with a nice backup utility now I noticed, and picks up fingerprint readers etc. up and integrates it into the OS.
    Nice not to have to used 3rd party software for stuff like that.

Win7 dropped the windows mail program and some other 'standard' programs. I wonder if that has to do with the lawsuits in the EU.
    2006 4Runner Sport Edition V8
    2011 4Runner SR5