Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Seanz0rz's M-762 Trailer Buildup

Good job Sean. In the long run you'll be happy they are welded.

As for the shock plates you might be fine without shocks for your coming trip. Like you said it's like you didn't have them anyways. Your trailer is heavy and sees some rough roads so it would be something I would ad. Making plates with a shock eye is an easy project anyway so it won't set you back much coin or time. Plus you have time so you can experiment with different lengths. If your pack is pretty stiff you could take out some leaves to give it some flex and take full advantage of having suspension (leaves and shocks).

Thanks Mike! I think at some point soon I am going to swap for some longer springs with less leaves, something more flexable, maybe from a taco or pickup.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

So I have a really big problem.

I cannot find the bolts I need locally. Ordering online is no guarantee I will have them by Monday (especially from some of these places that actually do have them).

Any suggestions on where I might find them from a place that would ship them in a timely manner? I accept the fact I will have to pay for expedited shipping.

I have tried etrailer, trailerpart trailerparts, trailerpartsdepot. My experience says trailerpart will take forever to ship.

I need:
    1/2" U bolt for 2 3/8" tube (2 1/2" will work OK), with an inside length of 6" or greater (but not more than 8")

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I spent a bunch of money on shipping, so we will see if they get here in time...

When I did a 14 bolt swap in my old truck I had a local machine shop make them for me. They weren't odd size or anything but I guess they weren't off the shelf since it was a 1 ton axle and 1/2 springs. Everyone at the time was having machine shops make them so I went that route.

Have you called a truck spring shop?
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I was just thinking that, buddies of mine that do axle swaps around her go to a local springs shop and they have those suckers ready for you quick.

Yeah, in hind sight maybe I should have done that.

in fact, I found a place that will do it for me. I'll call and cancel my order tomorrow and run down there in the morning.

Thanks for the idea! Don't know why I didn't think of that!
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 06-13-2013 at 06:31 PM.

It's back on its own two (3 if you count the nose) wheels!

My package actually shipped last night, but I likely wont get it until late in the day on Monday, which doesn't leave me much time to put it back together and pack the trailer. I can't cancel the order, so I am out that money, but I will save them for the next project and keep them as spares as well. Stupid on my part, ohwell!

I found Mac's Spring Shop and went over there this morning to have 4 bolts made. It took them less than 10 minutes. They were incredibly friendly and helpful. I would go out of my way and pay a little extra to do business with them again! In fact, the owner has a unimog parked out back, as well as a nicely built up M416 parked out front! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Last edited by Seanz0rz; 06-14-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Nice to hear you had a good experience and a quality product. U bolts stretch and aren't supposed to be used more than a couple of times (I assume). Your en route spares will be something nice to have on hand.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast