Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tess Ultimate Solid Axle Swap Planning Thread Take 2

Re: Tess Ultimate Solid Axle Swap Planning Thread Take 2

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    The advantage you have is that it seems like you're not in a hurry so you can bargain hunt and store parts until you're ready - for example when I did my engine swap, there was 1-1.5 years of planning, research and junkyarding into it which cut my cost and aggravation immensely.

I still think if/when you decide to run an LC front axle that you should try to find an import front clip w/ diesel to snag the parts from, that way you'll have factory engineered steering and suspension to reference + I remember you talking about a diesel swap awhile back, but if you ever plan to register Tess in CA you might want to reconsider the diesel part
    Exactly Keith, Its not like I plan on doing this withing the next year, but a while from now while and can bargain hunt and store.

The diesel swap has left my mind for good. While it was a cool idea, I am happy with the 3.l the way it is now.

keith actually has a great idea. get a lc100 front axle and everything else and just use that!

hell that actually sounds good for me (lol.... jk)
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Avy, this guy has done a super low 3-link 80 axle swap on a Taco (Thanks Chris for showing me this!):
    http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52875

He kept the steering linkages pretty much stock and kept the tie rod behind the front axle.

Doing something like that will keep you from spending $$$$$$ on a Slee high steer setup, although this guy keeps bending the stock tie rod.

Also, the SASed old school looking 05+ taco on display recently (SEMA?) used a 80 front axle with stock radius arms. Really cool setup.

From what I understand, one of the nice things about Diamond is that they can build an axle with FJ60 knuckles, which will allow you to use the high steer setup that Marlin sells (much cheaper than Slee's).

Just my $.02.

-Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Good Times
    keith actually has a great idea. get a lc100 front axle and everything else and just use that!

hell that actually sounds good for me (lol.... jk)
    Wait, isn't a LC100 IFS and torsion bars?
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Wait, isn't a LC100 IFS and torsion bars?
    Yup, but the 105 has a solid axle front and an available 5 speed (H151) tranny behind the 2uz.

-Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Mini knuckles, 30 spline Longfield, hub gears, etc. will handle all the tire you'll ever want and have cheap/easy high steer.

80 knuckles will handle more, but have more complicated and expensive steering.

Diamond housing with Toy knuckles takes the third of your choosing and the rest like a standard Mini, or how it is spec'd.

Why do you want links? Links with coils or coilovers?

Take a stock housing, truss the heck out of it, add all sorts of new tabs since it is not being used in the stock application and it will be as straight as Richard Simmons. Then when you thrash on it, it will get worse.

Let's save this thread. If you want a solid axle rig to rock crawl, you're starting with the wrong platform. Not sure if we have covered the final intention of this project yet.

Again apologies.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

just 80 axle it up avy

i picked this up today
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/20005spd/IMG_0116.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=800]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/20005spd/IMG_0117.jpg[/img]
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    Mini knuckles, 30 spline Longfield, hub gears, etc. will handle all the tire you'll ever want and have cheap/easy high steer.

80 knuckles will handle more, but have more complicated and expensive steering.

Diamond housing with Toy knuckles takes the third of your choosing and the rest like a standard Mini, or how it is spec'd.

Why do you want links? Links with coils or coilovers?

Take a stock housing, truss the heck out of it, add all sorts of new tabs since it is not being used in the stock application and it will be as straight as Richard Simmons. Then when you thrash on it, it will get worse.

Let's save this thread. If you want a solid axle rig to rock crawl, you're starting with the wrong platform. Not sure if we have covered the final intention of this project yet.

Again apologies.
    Likes with coilovers is what I was shooting for.
    I just like the idea of links, and I personally feel they get more flex.
    I know there is an ongoing argument about it but that is my opinion.

This is what the projects finial intention is going to be, as far fetched as it may sound to you all and the chances of me getting into it are slim I want it to be an Ultimate Adventure Rig.
    I would like to participate in the 4Wheel Ultimate Adventure.
    So with that said, some of the requirements to me eligible to do this adventure is as follows, and the things I list only pertain to why I would need to SAS
    Front and Rear Locker (LSD doesn't count)
    Minimum tire Size of 35

The rest of the list already is in the plans even though the truck is IFS (winch, roll cage, being self sufficient, etc.)

No apologies necessary Cheese, your still giving info that I am looking for.

I think it would be cool to do it with a 3rd gen 4Runner.

Quote Originally Posted by 20005spd
    just 80 axle it up avy

i picked this up today
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/20005spd/IMG_0116.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=800]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/20005spd/IMG_0117.jpg[/img]
    Rusty but looks banging Brain
    didn't realize they were set up that way.

This is a sweet SAS'd 3rd Gen
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikB View Post
    More pics of my rig from other people on the Dusy trip, lets see if these shutterfly links work...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast