Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake issues on a 1996

Brake issues on a 1996

Ok the 4 runner isn't here yet. I have a friend who had her brakes done, and now under hard braking all wheels will lock up and not release. I have been told that the system is bled and everything else is normal. The brakes were not done at a shop so she can't take it back. Its gonna be dropped off here, so any info would be appreciated.

Does the ABS system require bleeding and could that be the problem ?

Is there an ABS sensor at the wheel, and could that be the problem ?

I am going to look at the MC, and see if its jamming and not releasing.

Re: Brake issues on a 1996

ABS system does not require bleeding or any special procedure.
    Heck when I was looking up the bleeding procedure for my truck (which included 96-02) just said to do the rear first and then the front.
    Not even a RR, LR, RF, LF like i have always bleed them.

Truck shoot an ABS light yet?
    I would only start looking into the ABS if the light has kicked on.

I would like you are going to do, check the master cylinder, and brake booster.

Usually air in the lines gives you no pedal, at least in my experience with my truck.

Hope that helps a little...

On a 96, shouldn't need any special proceedure other than what Avy mentioned.

Are the brakes locking afterward? (are they not releasing the drum/disc and after hard braking acting like a parking brake?)

I'd check the pia on the front calipers and all the springs on the drums. Make sure nothing is binding and that everything is torqued to spec.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: Brake issues on a 1994

Turns out its a 1994, and her ex-husband lied about changing front pads. Just a quick examination turned out the front pads were never changed, and are 80+% worn. I also was told he changed the passenger rear seal, and I am also skeptic of that.

If he did do a rear seal, could he have screwed up the ABS sensor ? I have never been inside the newer rear axles. I know he could have screwed up the rear shoe, or springs.

Oh and no ABS light.

My thought is the front brakes are bad, so I'll change them out, then go from there.

Mods feel free to move this to the appropriate section for its year.

Thanks for the replies.

If the sensor was screwed it would still throw a ABS light.

Change out the pads and the shoes and spring set in the rear, and while your at it, change the rear seal for caution's sake.

oh!
    its a 94!
    Don't forget the LSPV.
    The bleeding order for the older runners is iirc RR, LR, LSPV, RF, LF.
    I could see that not being bled causing an issue...

Thanks, Avy, but I get how to bleed brakes. Since I automatic vacuum bleed, all the fluid will be changed, and air removed, regardless of order. I am more concerned with particular Toyota Brake problems in 1994.

I'll post up after I change the pads.

Brakes are changed, I can imagine that all those pistons out, could get one jammed up. All inner and outer wear indicators were shiny and pads had about 1/16 left. I am truly impressed with those calipers, cause all the pads had exact even wear.

I'll know more later after its driven.

didn't realize the pads were that pad.
    that could definitely cause an issue.

Any leakage?
    With the pistons out so far, could be possible that the square o-ring was damage..

Apparently changing the pads didn't completely cure it. She says it helped a great deal, but now it feels grabby completely in the rear. I'll take a look at it towards the end of the week. I hate drum brakes

Shoe needs too be about 2mm from the drum itself for proper braking.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast