Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assembly line full of 3.4 V6's

Assembly line full of 3.4 V6's

I was reading an article in yesterday's newspaper that Toyota is considering closing their NUMMI plant in Fremont California where many of the Tacomas originate. Obviously they used an old stock photo for the article as you can clearly read the "3400 Four Cam 24" printed on the timing belt cover. And just when you thought I was a nerd for noticing, don't bother looking for an e-locker because the rear diff is not quite visible in the photo. However the truck in line behind it will have the e-locker because those blue Tokico shocks only came on trucks with the TRD package.

Re: Assembly line full of 3.4 V6's

i really hope they dont close the plant, people need those jobs!

and no, youre not that much of a nerd, i would have done the same thing!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Is it going to be a complete close or are they thinking of refitting it for another model?

That would suck if hey close it but toyota is usually good about taking care of their employees when they shut down plants.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    Is it going to be a complete close or are they thinking of refitting it for another model?
    Closing it, unfortunately. The article lists several Central Valley (California) businesses that provide parts for the factory that would be highly effected. Those parts were mainly for the truck interiors.

Following reports that Toyota Motor Corp. plans to shut its Fremont assembly plant, California’s governor said he will try to keep the facility open.

“The (Arnold) Schwarzenegger administration is actively engaged with Toyota, federal officials, local officials, labor, suppliers and other stakeholders to work together to ensure the future success of the facility,” said David Crane, the governor’s special advisor for jobs and economic growth.

The Japanese business newspaper Nikkei reported this week that Toyota plans talks with the United Auto Workers union on the timing of the closure and treatment of workers.

“We would like to reach a conclusion by the end of August, depending on the course of negotiations,” the paper quoted Toyota spokeswoman Ririko Takeuchi saying.

The news is a potential blow to Fremont, home to New United Motor Manufacturing Inc., which opened in 1984 as a joint venture between Toyota and General Motors Corp. GM, which went through a bankruptcy this year, last month said it would pull out of the plant as part of its restructuring.

The plant, where 4,700 people work, is Fremont’s largest employer.

Among others, Schwarzenegger has contacted Toyota executives and federal car czar Ron Bloom regarding the Fremont plant.

He should have demanded that they start importing diesels while he was at it.

imho, the plant will close. GM has already left and it is not economically viable to keep the plant open. states typically woo car companies to build plants with tax deferments or other types of tax incentives to build plants. to keep one, i've never heard any state do the same thing. not to mention, our state is already in the sh#tter as we are furloughing our own state employees.

i wonder if toyota will shift production to that texas plant (iirc) that was ramping up for sequioas and tundras right before the economy took a nose dive?

the bigger question for us is what will happen to the excess inventory? i wonder if there will be a fire sale on the parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5
    the bigger question for us is what will happen to the excess inventory? i wonder if there will be a fire sale on the parts?
    maybe they'll just crush 'em all- would you be surprised? they'll call it the plant closing safety recall... grab me a locker and all the goodies that go with it when they sell 'em, eh?
    1996 SR5 4Runner
    3.4 5speed 4x4 165k

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5
    New 3.4s for $500 shipped?

Yeah that new 3.4l would be nice

hell i would like a new motor, my spare motor has 120k on it... my 02's has 150k on it... i figure i can make it to 500k between the two motors, but im aiming for a million on the truck
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast