Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Front Wheel Bearings

Front Wheel Bearings

it looks (and sounds) like its time for new front wheel bearings.

looking at the service manual, i only need to replace the oil seals (inner and outer) and the bearing (i was told the snap ring could be reused no problem unless i break it)

my question is for people who have done this R&R themselves: what did you use to drive the new bearing in, and what did you use to explode it apart? i have a 12 ton press, but none of the SST's the manual recommends. i cant really afford to have the vehicle down for too long, so i need to be able to go as soon as i get the front taken apart.

also, timken bearings at autozone any good? or should i go with toyota (at a significant price differential)?

thanks for your help, im sure ill have many more questions soon!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: Front Wheel Bearings

Sean I logged onto one of the sites that the school has let me use and here is the instructions I got for removal and instilation:

Removal:
    1. Remove Steering Knuckle. (Then it tells you to see the hub and Knuckle section)
    2. Secure Steering knuckle in soft-jawed vise.
    3. Using screwdriver, remove inner oil seal.
    4. Removed rotor dust cover bolts and then remove dust cover.
    5. Using puller, remove hub from steering knuckle.
    6. Remove bearing spacer and ABS speed Sensor rotor/spacer.
    7. Using snap ring pliers, remove bearing retainer ring.
    8. Using Press, remove bearing from steering knuckle.

Instilation:
    1. Using press, install bearing into outer side of steering knuckle.
    2. Install NEW bearing retainer ring and outer oil seal.
    3. Press hub into bearing.
    4. Install rotor dust cover.
    5. Press ABS speed sensor rotor/spacer and bearing spacer onto hub from innder side of steering Knuckle.
    6. Install inner grease cap.
    7. Install steering knuckle.

I don't knwo about you but it said nothing about any SST's so I don't know what the manual is mentioning.

Timken make good bearing, if I big rig trusts them, I don't see why we can't?
    But at the same time the Toyota is def to spec and you know where it came from.

Hope that helps some...

You wont be able to press the bearings out with that 12 ton press. I couldn't even get them out with my 20 ton. I ended up taking the knuckles and all the parts to a machine shop that my dealer recommended and he did everything for $150.

The problem is that you cant remove the snap ring, so it take somewhere around 50 tons of force to break the bearing out.

It would be easier and cheaper to get a used set of knuckles from a wrecking yard.

Quote Originally Posted by 914Runner
    The problem is that you cant remove the snap ring, so it take somewhere around 50 tons of force to break the bearing out.
    Is the snap ring that tight in there?
    Do you think that could have been caused be the bearing being bad and holding pressure to it?

It sounds like the only reason you needed a bigger press was cause the snap ring was stuck in there essentially, if I am reading correctly

It is a bugger of a job, I'd just take it to a machine shop or dealer to have them press the bearings out/in.
    You should be fine with using the timken brand bearings.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

why can i not get the snap ring out?

id like to avoid taking it somewhere, money is an issue (when is it not?)

is it true i can easily reuse the abs sensor rotor and the spacer?

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

looks like autozone is significantly more expensive. so i will be ordering from toyota.

anyone else have any words of wisdom?

Depending on the position of the snap ring,
    like if the abs and such is out of the way and all it is is the snap ring and bearing,

how about taking a dremel to the snap ring and cutting little slots along it to help it come out easier?

Reason I suggest this is because if my understanding is correct the snap ring is going to need to be replaced anyway because it will get damaged when it gets pressed out.

This way your saving yourself money by not taking it to the shop and your replacing the snap ring either way.

Just a thought but I could be very off base here...

you shouldnt have to press out the snap ring, you should be able to pull it out with a set of snap ring pliers.

ordering parts tomorrow. in other news, i hate the sequoia

I am just saying Sean, according to the description from the other guys, in my understanding they couldn't get the snap ring out, and so they had the shop press the bearing out with the snap ring still in.

I know you can but according to the guys it is almost virtually impossible...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast