Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not so happy after Tundra brake install

Not so happy after Tundra brake install

I replaced the calipers pads rotors and rear shoes on my 2000 4runner. Everything is new and I used the huge 13wl calipers.

#1 I can't bleed air out of the system. Fluid comes out clear of bubbles at all four corners, bled one at a time from furthest away from the MC to closest. Even tried bleeding the MC at the output lines. When engine is running and the brake is depressed I can hear an air gushing noise. When I stand next to the engine compartment and listen it seems to be comming from the ABS box when the pedal is depressed, then from the MC area when the pedal is let off??? When the engine is off, pressing the pedal once makes the air noise, then pressed again, it's gone with the pedal all the way at the top. I don't get it....

#2 There is a weird thumping sound comming from the passenger side caliper. Only happens at moderate to hard stops but somethings wrong there.

#3 Pulling slightly to the right also

Re: Not so happy after Tundra brake install

Do those year 4runners have LSPV's in the rear? If so, that needs to be bled as well.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Do those year 4runners have LSPV's in the rear? If so, that needs to be bled as well.
    No LSPV on 3rd gens with ABS.

1) Seems to me someone else had a similar issue a while back.
    Have you done any searching on the forum, esp the Tundra brake threads?

2) Sounds like the spring clips aren't installed properly and double check your hardware install.

3) I'd bet #2 and #3 are related.

- Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Jamie, i thought the 99+ with the traction control have an lspv? the person who had this issue on this site was xonetruthcrewx. here is his thread: http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=3245.0

are the calipers new? or remanufactured? there is a difference. you could have a sticking piston causing problems 2 and 3.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Did you let the MC run dry? If so you'll need to bench bleed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    Jamie, i thought the 99+ with the traction control have an lspv? the person who had this issue on this site was xonetruthcrewx. here is his thread: http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=3245.0

are the calipers new? or remanufactured? there is a difference. you could have a sticking piston causing problems 2 and 3.
    http://toyodiy.com is showing a lspv but it is not applicable on the 2000 I was using, but the fact that is in the diagram means that it is applicable for some 2000's You would need the vin # to be accurate. Well, that and looking under there to see if you have one.
    My signature

They are brand new calipers. Took the car to a local shop and the tech said the MC was shot after taking it for a spin. I told him it wasn't leaking in back and he said that they can leak internally??? He also told me that the caliper that was making noise was installed incorrectly somehow. I checked it and it's fine. I'm thinking about returning it for another. I don't think the MC was ever dry I'm pretty good about filling it when bleeding. But just in case, I did crack the lines while I had someone on the brakes and bled the MC that way for about 5 squirts on each line.

One caliper could be bad-hence the pull.

MC could be bad, never hurts to replace it if you have some miles on the truck.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

....just a thought, also with Tundra brake upgrades, you may want to go to a larger bore MC anyway.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

MC's can leak internally.
    As far as the caliper being installed incorrectly, I don't see how.
    However with the pads or the springs that usually is possible and would cause the the noise, and pull.

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
    ....just a thought, also with Tundra brake upgrades, you may want to go to a larger bore MC anyway.
    Shouldn't need it really, I have the larger tundra calipers and am just fine.
    However if you would like a stiffer pedal you might want the larger MC

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast