Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Seanz0rz's rear bumper buildup

Re: Seanz0rz's rear bumper buildup

sleeving the frame isnt too hard. just some drilling, welding, grinding. its only 2 or 4 holes. im just not sure its needed at all.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

got alot done today considering i got out there pretty late.

square hole cut for receiver:

first pass of welding:

it was pretty hot all day:

bumper together being tacked:

final welding for today:

triple pass on the receiver:

tomorrow is another day looking at houses, so major work will continue on friday.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 04-10-2013 at 06:57 PM.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Thanks for the pics, i'll be using Bruce's writeup as a guideline as well, and some of his pic links were down.
    1999 Toyota 4runner Limited 4x4 E-Locker: DR Coilovers ~ Camburg UCA's ~ OME 890+10mm ~ Icon Rear 2.5 Resi's ~ 235/85/16 Hankook Dynapro MT's ~ LC Rims

Looking good and I like the mounts. Add a piece of plate or angle iron to the end of the frame and do a horizontal bolt though it. It will help with the up/down forces the bumper will see. I had to add that to mine when I put a carrier on it.

I'm in the planning stages of doing my next rear bumper, all the little flaws of the one I made 3 years ago are finally starting to irritate me.
    Diamond HP8 SAS / FROR Full Float Rear / DIY F&R bumper / Nitto 285s / Gen1 SC (in progress)

thanks for the advise!

here are yesterday's pictures, didnt get a chance to post them up last night.

mockup of risers for doors:

ran into a problem of the body being off about 1/4" off center from the frame:

solved that by moving the risers further out. i know the body will move around and i know if i unbolt the body from the frame i can re-center it. unfortunately the truck is full of tools and i cant get the carpet up! i really fretted over this problem, but my lunch reassured me:

tacking uprights:

what it looks like now:

have some weekend stuff to do the next two days, hope to get back to it soon though.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 04-10-2013 at 06:59 PM.

looks good Sean.

But now I am hungry for panda express...
    Guess I need to go out lol!

Sean are you planing to run a steel plate under the hitch for support and chains

Looks good bro

im trying to find a way to use the factory vehicle tiedowns/recovery points that were bolted to the frame through the hitch.

Looks good so far Sean.

Question - any reason why you didn't run the receiver hitch mount flush with the 2 x 4? Seems like you want to get the most departure angle as you can. Here's mine for reference. Not that you're going to switch it now. For gussets you can pick up pre-fabbed 45's at most metal supply stores. Keep up the good work.............and drink plenty of water in that freakin heat. Don't forget to run the shackle mounts thru the bumper for true structural integrity. I got mine on e-bay for like
    10$ a pop. They're 5 x 1 x 1.

&#039;95 Runner with some goods<br />&#039;99 Taco with some more goods<br /><br />Surf to Live / Live to Surf

i ran the hitch out far because of my trailer. that length from my axle to my pintle hook is exactly the length from my lunette to the axle on my trailer, which is perfect for turning and such. the short tongue on the trailer makes it a nightmare to back up. i also use it as a step. departure angle isnt the MOST of my concern on this bumper.

just finished installing a screen door, going to go out and cut and tack my inside frame support.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast