Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Seanz0rz's rear bumper buildup

Re: Seanz0rz's rear bumper buildup

What are you using to make the cuts? What type of grinding discs?

just the standard harbor freight cut off disks on a 4.5" craftsman professional angle grinder. in fact, thats what i have used to build the entire bumper. i have a 14" chop saw but i dont like it. i am faster and more precise with an angle grinder.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Navigator

ya, Sean's hardcore... no plasma cutter for him :-P
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Lance (goodtimes) suggested i add a piece to the backside of the swing outs to i dont get a failure at the cut and weld point. i went a step further and used some tube scraps to make angles and welded them on the back and top of each top tube of the swing outs:

not the prettiest solution in the world, but it beats building the swing outs all over again.

something i forgot when i had the bumper, and im really upset at myself for forgetting, was loops for my safety chains. until now i have just looped them around the bumper beam. a friend gave me about a food of super heavy chain:

so i cut out two links and welded them to the back side of the tube:

so now im waiting for it to cool so i can hit it with a wire brush, then clean it all up and paint it. still have to reinstall my license plate, cb antenna, reroute an airbag hose and my trailer harness.

now the next step will be some lighting, but that will come when i find the right lights. also on the to-do list is a step by step how i built this bumper web page. i kind of want to collect all my projects in one place, and potentially provide a bunch of stuff to the wiki at the same time.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 04-10-2013 at 07:43 PM.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

so who wants me to build them one?
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 04-10-2013 at 07:43 PM.

Dibbs!
    I call the first one you make next!

Added some reflective tape:

no excuse to rear end me now...
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 04-10-2013 at 07:44 PM.

^ I want to hit it just to see how strong it really is

actually a couple of weeks ago i jackknifed my trailer into the right panel and drug the trailer down the street while trying to get it in the driveway in heavy traffic. just some scratched paint!

After a year and a half and I have an update!

Finally got around to adding a shovel mount:

I just drilled and tapped some holes for the machine screws that hold on the quick fists. fits great in that spot and does not conflict with the rear hatch any.

Next, I did something I've wanted to do since way before I built my bumper or put swingouts on. I finally have two fold down tables!

There is also one on the other swing out (not pictured). They are made of wire baskets that came on lawn wagons for flowers and stuff. I cut the "mesh" to fit, used some small tubing holders like you would use for brake or fuel lines on a chassis. The supports are (for now) para-cord that I can adjust to make the table level on irregular terrain. It is plenty good for quick food prep or holding some light tools and parts. They are getting a coat of hammer paint now and I will mount them up when the rains are done.

here is the clearance between the swingouts and hatch now:

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 04-10-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast