Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Seanz0rz's rear bumper buildup

Re: Seanz0rz's rear bumper buildup

yes, uses the stock 4 holes. im debating drilling horizontally through the frame, sleeving, and bolting. what do yall think?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I say drill thru the frame and sleeve possibly. Word to the wise, that metals gonna be a biatch to drill thru so I would buy 2 bits of each size and start small and go slow.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

the frame isnt bad to drill thru, its just like 12 gauge. the 3/16" is a pain though...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Since MY truck is all but rust there I will probably be drilling though and sleeving.
    And with the Body lift it should be easier to get to

well if you say so, ive drilled thru worse myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    yes, uses the stock 4 holes. im debating drilling horizontally through the frame, sleeving, and bolting. what do yall think?
    do you mean with another tab coming up vertically in front of the body mounts? I can't really tell from the pics, but is there enough vertical metal attached to the frame to prevent bending with weight on the main tube?

when I first built my bumper, it would pivot down (even with the side tubes bolted to the frame) with heavy trailer tongue weights. I fixed it by linking the rear most bolt to the next attach point forward

(that square tube is in compression, not bend/torsion, with weight on the bumper)
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

the frame isnt bad to drill thru, its just like 12 gauge. the 3/16" is a pain though...
    Get some cheap step drill bits from HF - I use them up to 1/4" plate and they breeze right through it, unless your drilling some wicked 4130 or similar - they last fairly long and work great for deburing (sp?) the hole as you make it

here is a picture of my bracket:

the distance from center of forward bolt to rear bolt is 12 inches. a full 15 inches or so of the bracket is on the frame. if i added a bolt or two through the frame it would be forward of the rear body mount. hope that helps clarify some questions.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 04-11-2013 at 05:27 PM.

You need to replace your body mounts They are looking like mine did.

the distance from center of forward bolt to rear bolt is 12 inches. a full 15 inches or so of the bracket is on the frame. if i added a bolt or two through the frame it would be forward of the rear body mount. hope that helps clarify some questions.
    OK, I get it. A way of cutting corners (saves the work of sleeving the holes) is to use a doubled piece of sheet to bridge the top and bottom of the frame rail with the bolt in the middle, this will distribute the clamping force top to bottom and prevent the frame rail sides from pulling in (I can draw a pic if I didn't explain it well)

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast