Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Converting Hella 700FF's to 55W HID

Converting Hella 700FF's to 55W HID

Hey guys. So I bought some Hella 700FF's off of Elton, and after looking at some H3 HID converision kits, it turns out that they might be in my budget finally (I couldn't afford $600 for a pair, but $150 ain't bad...) I wanted to hear some feedback on what might be a good company to look at for some HID conversions for an H3 bulb reflector. Also, I'm not sure what "rating" light I should get, I want them to be the purset white possible- not too blue or yellow or purple (damn ricers). So I was thinking 6000K, opinions?

I was thinking about something like this:

JLM HID Conversion Kit H3 6000k Diamondwhite

...or this:

XenTec HID conversion kit H3 6000K Single Beam Xenon (ultra white)

to go into these:
    Last edited by mastacox; 09-01-2017 at 07:42 PM.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Re: I want to convert some Hella 700FF's to HID- which kit?

And while I'm at it on another note, what wire do I need to tap into to get these to turn on with my hi-beams? I know I can't just tap straight into the hi-beam's wires because it's ground-switched, so where do I tap in?
    Brian
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Brian,
    to save a little cash you might what to look into these,
    http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...=102&parent=85

also, I took the dash cluster out. And just found the wire that controls the indicator bulb for the highbeams.
    It worked great so I knew that the highbeams were on it also mention the aftermarket stuff was on too.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    Brian,
    Hey thanks for the link, those kits are incredibly inexpensive compared to when I was looking around a few years ago $80 for a pair is not bad at all!

also, I took the dash cluster out. And just found the wire that controls the indicator bulb for the highbeams.
    It worked great so I knew that the highbeams were on it also mention the aftermarket stuff was on too.
    That might be what I have to do too, what a pain! I've been wondering if I can come up with a engineered solution using some basic Radio Shack components and relays that allows me to tap into something under the hood...
    Brian

For turning on the auxillary lighting, this is basically what I need to do (but on my 3rd gen 4Runner instead of a 1st gen). I'm sure lots of people have done similar mods on their 3rd gens???

Corax's "Turn driving lights on with High Beams" Tech Article
    Brian

Brian,
    Oh boy, I didn't need to see these.

I have 6000k in my hella 4000's and they look great. White with a slight twinge of blue. 5000k would be as close to white as possible but i'm happy with the 6000k.

I'm tapped into the high beam lead right behind the driver's headlight. You do need to setup a relay and all that to power the lights though. I have a switch on my dash to activate the lights, then once on, they'll come on when I flick my hi's.
    1999 Toyota 4runner Limited 4x4 E-Locker: DR Coilovers ~ Camburg UCA's ~ OME 890+10mm ~ Icon Rear 2.5 Resi's ~ 235/85/16 Hankook Dynapro MT's ~ LC Rims

Quote Originally Posted by CYi5
    I have 6000k in my hella 4000's and they look great. White with a slight twinge of blue. 5000k would be as close to white as possible but i'm happy with the 6000k.
    Cool, thanks for the feedback. I like the idea of a very slight blue tint to make it obvious they're HID's, but not super blue like the 10,000K's.

Quote Originally Posted by CYi5
    I'm tapped into the high beam lead right behind the driver's headlight. You do need to setup a relay and all that to power the lights though. I have a switch on my dash to activate the lights, then once on, they'll come on when I flick my hi's.
    Could you take a picture of where you tapped in?
    Brian

Yea it's a definitely acceptable amount of tinge, you'll be more than satisfied i'm sure.

Yea i'll grab some pics for ya. I originally had it done using the wiring harness from some IPF 968's, so it made tapping into everything really simple. That truck got totaled so I had to salvage some of the wiring and my installer friend did something a little more complicated...but i'll show you the connections...
    1999 Toyota 4runner Limited 4x4 E-Locker: DR Coilovers ~ Camburg UCA's ~ OME 890+10mm ~ Icon Rear 2.5 Resi's ~ 235/85/16 Hankook Dynapro MT's ~ LC Rims

Anywhere between 4300k and 5000k is going to give you the most light output for HID. I prefer 4300k as the warmer tone seems to give me a bit more contrast at night. I had, mistakenly, got 6000k's a while back, and while they were bright, I was very disappointed with the throw of them.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast