Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dig-It truckhoe / backhoe

Re: Small engine ?

Thats priceless Keith lol!!!

o man that's too funny.

and I thought people totally forgot about that pix!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Turns out it wasn&#39;t seized, had it running in < 1 hour but the maintenance guy that helped me get it hitched up said it backfires. I&#39;ll have to wait till I get the exhaust together to see how well it runs (don&#39;t like running it with a manifold). I got 2 partial tube manifolds together so I can piece a header system together (nice mandrel bends) and my roomie is donating this muffler from his Formula SAE kart (I want to make a stack out of it and put a flapper on the top )

It&#39;s amazing how much interchange there is on these engines - I was junkyarding yesterday and snagged the airfilter box and front shroud off a B&S Vanguard figuring I could hack it up and make it work. I don&#39;t even have to cut anything, most of the bolt holes already line up
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

header is made, now I need to fab a 2-1 collector and find 2 nice 90 degree mandrel bends in small diameter tube to run to the muffler

looking good Keith

got a bit more work done on it in the last few weeks - engine runs great, just needed to be blasted out with some carb cleaner and have the low speed jet cleaned. I also poured SeaFoam down the carb while cranking until it hydrolocked (low speed crank = no damage, don&#39;t try this at home) and let it sit for an hour so it could seep into the rings and free them up nicely (no more exhaust smoke ) then I blew it all out the tailpipe. found a front shroud on ebay for $10, and got the governor linkages all reassembled and adjusted. installed the hydraulic pump yesterday and decided to finish up the exhaust today. here&#39;s the 2-1 collector I made for the header out of a piece of 2" i.d. reducer with some 1 5/8" universal flex pipe to the muffler

my roomie couldn&#39;t get rid of this CBR muffler for $5 so he donated it to my cause, just had to weld one 1/4" tab onto the reservoir so I could bolt my muffler on to that

I was thinking of running it like a stack with one of those little flapper valves on the top to keep water out, but that would&#39;ve put the exhaust pipe too close to the rubber suction hose for the pump

I had it out yesterday in WV to dig out a bunch of stumps, the soil was anything but clean - plenty of bowling ball and smaller sized rocks - and it did rather well. Hell of a lot better than digging by hand (which wouldn&#39;t have been fun because of the rocks anyway), and as long as I could get under the roots I could break them without much stress to the machine (also moved some rocks about the size of a 10 year old kid). My biggest problem was getting the machine around the property, it would occasionally get stuck and I had to use the bucket to drag my ass one way or the other (didn&#39;t think about airing down the tires until I was on my way home), but I was also working on damp ground with plenty of leaf cover and those hydro motors don&#39;t exactly spin fast. Anyway, on one of those stucks, my day ended abruptly when I backed up and the one rear caster snapped off - when I looked closer I found the pivot pin had either been undercut or started to crack a long time ago and I just helped it along with my ham-fisted maneuverings and trying to offroad it

The fix is pretty simple though - drill the caster and weld a new 1 3/16" pin in place so I should be bck up and running in a few days . . . now to figure out who make an M/T tire small enough to fit this machine . . .

Re: Dig-It truckhoe / backhoe

What are those upper two casters for? Does the back end flip down or something?
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Thats why i like tracks.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter
    What are those upper two casters for? Does the back end flip down or something?
    The front (by the boom) drive wheels/motors have hydraulic quick disconnects and a giant clevis pin holds the motor and wheel onto the machine - disconnect the hydraulics, pull the pin and yank both wheels off the machine so those casters can go inboard of where the hydraulic motors were - now the machine is only 35" wide and can be pushed through a regular fence gate

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    Thats why i like tracks.
    Yeah, I'll agree with that. Really I was looking for a small TLB (tractor/loader/backhoe), but I couldn't find one that wouldn't seriously dent my bank account - I only have ~ $2k into this and I should be able to get that out of it when I'm done

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast