Thread: Okay guys, I need help - any fitness trainers/nuts in the house?

Okay guys, I need help - any fitness trainers/nuts in the house?

Okay guys.... I've had a lot going on lately.
    None of it good.

I feel like I am losing my mind, I feel like I am spinning my wheels, I feel like I can't get organized, I feel like my life is on hold waiting for something to happen.

What I need is to get in shape. I'm looking to join the Georgia State Defense Force, and I want to get in shape. Thing is, I need some help knowing what to do. which excersises, that kind of stuff. Post up if you are a fitness trainer (I was thinking we had a couple on board) or just a fitness nut, and e'll talk about what I am wanting to accomplish and see what you guys think.

Thanks!!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Re: Okay guys, I need help - any fitness trainers/nuts in the house?

Seems like a lot of people are doing the P90X thing. I don't know much about it other than it seems to kick your butt and get you into shape. I was thinking last night that I'm bound to wear my body out with just my daily activities. This was my yesterday; wake up early, work all day, bust my ass with my bicycle commute home, dad duty, mow the lawns, dad duty, husband duty, move firewood, install heavy skid plates, find gear in the hot attic, watch the news. I was beat and I'm sure feel asleep within 10 minutes. This is my life at least 6 days a week. The activity is what keeps the calories burning but I'm not great at watching what I put in.

Do you do much now? What about a gym? Personally I can't do a gym. It's too much to get dolled up and sweat with a bunch of other people just working out to be seen. My 2 biggest activities are cycling and running. I ride home and run when I take the baby on her walks. It's enough to keep me from keeling over and takes my mind off stuff.

I've tried numerous things, and what I always come back to: do what you enjoy, and do it a lot.

I love hiking, fishing, photography, etc. So, I combine them all, I strap fishing pole on my backpack, my camera and lenses in a bag, also my Glock 20 and hike into a lake. The extra weight makes a simple hike into a fairly decent work out.

If you don't have time for that (as I usually don't) get a cheap stationary bike, and ride that while you watch a movie.

Heck, you can even do some awesome workouts with a couple 15 lb dumbbells. This is my favorite: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/289321...rix_breakdown/ and this will kick your ass, I promise.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Just to add my .02, I will be investing in a bowflex soon (expensive piece of machinery but for 30 bucks a month that ain't bad)

friends have it and swear by it so I thought I might give it a shot,
    and I am with mike on the gym thing, tried it once but cancled soon after.

I am also with oly, do what you love that usuall helps me.

Haven't had personal experience with P90X but have had many friends do it and love it. The only thing is that they say you need to be in some kind of shape to be able to start it or else it will be way too intense for someone who never exercises.

I second the biking idea, if you think you'd like it. Great exercise, either road or mountain. Way better for your knees than running, especially if you are bigger.

One thing that I will add that is the most important:

Find a way to stay committed. I find it SO hard to stay on a routine because I get tired with work, or something else in life, it sucks. So if you can start out with something small, even if it's just doing 10 pullups and 10 pushups every morning or evening and stick to it. Once you can get it driven into your brain to do something every day, then focus on what you do.

PX90 is good stuff from what I hear, but why get caught up in all that stuff right away, start simple, and work your way up!

Of course, you may already be there and I'm just talking like and idiot, haha. But that's what I've found to be my biggest weakness. Make it a regular thing like making coffee in the morning or farting before you fall asleep and you'll have great success (not the farting, the workout stuff....)
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Chris, I'm doing P90X. What you just wrote is the "rut" i was in. P90X and the nutrition advice (you gotta do both) has been a life changer for me. Email me at bobkim@4runners.org, include your phone #.