Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear bumper fab... A few questions...

Rear bumper fab... A few questions...

Well, i've begun the cardboard mock up process of fabbing my rear bumper thank to my mom's new vaccum cleaner box...

I have a source for 3/16" plate steel, my only question: If I were to make the side wings out of the 3/16", instead of the 11ga. as suggested, would ya'll forsee any problems/issues???

I know the weight would be a factor, but is there really that much of a difference?

Thanks for the help ya'll!!!!

Chris
    --Chris--<br />Facebook Me!<br />1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited / Sonoran Steel 1.2 Lift / 4Crawler Offroad 2&quot; Body Lift / ProComp 8069 16x8 / 315-75 GoodYear Duratracs / Modified ARB front / BruceTS Rear / WABFAB custom stuffs

Re: Rear bumper fab... A few questions...

well, it will be aprox. 50% heavier than the 11 gauge.

it also depends on your offroading style. if you like using your armor to move you about, to guide you (such as a tight turn on your kick out on your slider) or if you want it to adsorb impact.

for me its both. i rather it fold than the frame or body. however, i sometimes use it to keep my body off a rock, so it needs to be sturdy for high stress and low impact situations. im not done bracing everything on my bumper like i want it to, some of that will come later, and some much later.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

it wont be an issue.

my 3rd gen 4runner&#39;s bumper was entirely 3/16ths, with the frame mount being a tow hitch cut and flipped.

was it heavy? yeah. Too heavy? No.

It was really strong, held up great! Just make sure you run supports from the frame.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Lee: that bumper is amazing. What rear lift were you running? I have the LC coils right now and am sitting pretty high in the back. I'd like to keep a little rake, but a leveler stance would be nice too...
    --Chris--<br />Facebook Me!<br />1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited / Sonoran Steel 1.2 Lift / 4Crawler Offroad 2&quot; Body Lift / ProComp 8069 16x8 / 315-75 GoodYear Duratracs / Modified ARB front / BruceTS Rear / WABFAB custom stuffs

i was running ome coils in the back
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

So... What about building the bumper to match a 2" body lift? Yea or Nea?

Sure, why not?
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

It'll be frame mounted, unlike the stock rear bumper... Would there be any forsee-able issues?

Quote Originally Posted by kregg
    It'll be frame mounted, unlike the stock rear bumper... Would there be any forsee-able issues?
    Frame flex in the rear, guys usually do a little gusseting around the arch over the axle for a little added strength back there, at least from most of the writ-ups i have see...

keep in mind, you want some space between a steel bumper and your body panels. if you hit something particularly hard it WILL flex (you want it to, else your frame will do the flexing which can tire it / bend it out of place).

i left a good 2 inches as you can see and even that was kinda close.

if you dont like the look, you can get some garage door weatherstripping from home depot or the like and 3m tape it along the edge. this will give it a nice clean look.

also, i would add a new crossmember across your frame near the mounts.

so if your frame looks like this

________

________

add an xmember by the rear mounts

________
    |
    __|_____

oh and that xmember can just be 1x1. just something to help it out.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast