Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x4mike's e-locker retrofit

4x4mike's e-locker retrofit

When I was looking for a 4runner 2 years ago I was looking for one with a locker. I know everyone wants one but I settled for a green highlander 5 speed instead. The one I bought was actually the only 5 speed I found within 250 miles. I lucked out finding a '99 with only 84K for $10K.

Anyways fast forward to this years Pismo jamboree and me acquiring a 3rd gen 4runner housing from Bob.

This housing is the one from his 4runner. He had bought a housing, made the modifications to that one so his truck wasn't down for long. Anyways he hooked me up and here I am. The housing had some rust on it so I had to take the wire wheel to it.

After I got it painted and cleaned up it was time to find a locker.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 06-17-2013 at 08:49 AM.

Re: 4x4mike's e-locker retrofit

*Going to go ahead and brace up the link mounts at the same time?

Fast forward to 2 days ago. I found a guy on CL selling a third member in an ad that was 2 sentences long and had no pictures or price. I called him and he said he got the 3rd member from a friend as payment for helping him with an axle swap. Turns out he had what I wanted (4.10 gears) so I made an offer. When I got there he had a wrapped up third member that took him close to 5 minutes to unwrap. When he finally finished I was looking at an almost new locker. The thing had gear oil on it but it was super clean, zero dirt/mud, no rust, and $250. I gave him the cash and ran.

What do you think of the gear pattern? I was a little rushed when I took these pictures and haven't had much time to look at it much. I kind of wished he had the ecu but nonetheless. Once I get a gasket I'm grinding away on that housing.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 06-17-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBorn
    *Going to go ahead and brace up the link mounts at the same time?
    What do you mean? Do you have any pictures for examples? Wasn't planning on it but since I have this thing sitting on my bench...

You could always send a pic to zuk and see what he thinks about the paint pattern on the gears..

Can't wait to see that thing done with.
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba
    You could always send a pic to zuk and see what he thinks about the paint pattern on the gears..

Can't wait to see that thing done with.
    I'm not in a huge hurry but now that I have the 3rd it'll come together quicker. I'm waiting on the gasket, studs and and get but I guess I could grind and weld the housing that thing installed and worry about wiring it later.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    What do you mean? Do you have any pictures for examples? Wasn&#39;t planning on it but since I have this thing sitting on my bench...
    I wish I did, and I&#39;ve yet to have to pay any attention to mine. It&#39;s a bigger issue after heavier use or time where the mounts on the rear differential start to fracture/tear at the front corners, even sometimes the rear. The trick is a 2" long section of pipe, (4 for each mount) cut to about a (IIRC 15 degree) wedge then shaped to fit up to the corner of the mount and tie in the two side plates of the corner of the mount. The reason for the round tube instead of say square stock or plate is it distributes any forces out along the surface better.

IE: Imagine the downtube of the Turner here is your link tower..make sense?

Oh, BTW, it would be a sweet UY karma thing to maybe keep the "Team Differential" program going. That way whoever else has a 3rd gen and is going to do the same you two did they can...

Ahh, you get it, kind of a "Pay it forward" cheesy thing but fun to consider.

Thought about it but I've found someone who wants my housing. I'm of course assuming I don't botch Bobs and have to mod mine.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBorn
    Oh, BTW, it would be a sweet UY karma thing to maybe keep the "Team Differential" program going. That way whoever else has a 3rd gen and is going to do the same you two did they can...

Ahh, you get it, kind of a "Pay it forward" cheesy thing but fun to consider.
    That is a good idea.
    I botched mine when I did it and I am getting another one.
    Once I get that one built correctly I am going to switch everything over, fix and build my old one so who ever gets it just needs to throw there third and shafts in bolt everything up and go.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast