Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x4 4Runner What is that ratchet noise?

4x4 4Runner What is that ratchet noise?

Hi everyone, I just got a 02 4runner 4x4 sport and love it. I hear a ratchet noise from the front when I have a wheel slipping either in two wheel or four wheel drive. Four wheel drive seems to be working well, but i have not yet put it in a serious bind, just muddy, slippery, flat surfaces.

Is this sound normal? Truck has 39k miles.

Truck also has a center difercial lock button, does this lock both the front and rear lockers?

Thanks
    87 4 runner turbo 4x4 <br />09 Tacoma 4x4<br />97 4 runner limited<br />02 4 runner 4x4 sport<br />10 Corolla S

Re: 4x4 4Runner What is that ratchet noise?

Welcome to uy and the world of 4Runners.

Let me educate you a litle on your truck.
    My stepdad has the same year and model.
    First, your vehicle is equipped with VSC = vehicle stability control as well as ABS = anti-lock brake system.
    Join the two together in slippery conditions and the trucks driveline and braking get a mind of it's own and start to apply to help control your vehicle which is probably the ratcheting noise you hear.

Also sweet find on scoring one with such low miles, stepdads just rolled over 200k.

Second, the trasfer case and center diff lock situation.
    That button on your t-case is in essence an AWD option for your t-case, to pu your runner into true 4wd you press that center diff lock button that locks the open diff in the trasfer case to make the truck now a full 4wd system.
    Unfortunetly this year did no come with the rear diff lock, that was discontinued in 01.
    Another unfortunate thing is Toyota never had the option of a front locker on the runners, only the land cruiser up till 98 had that option.

Hope that answers some questions for you!

Also in true UY fashion, Show us some pics!!!!

....and then there's the beeping sound as well, which sounds like an "Artist Alert" for those who have a Sirius Radio receiver.

39k on a 2002?! That's amazing. sounds like a nice rig, welcome!
    2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4-Dub<br />TRD supercharger,&nbsp; Toytec Coilovers, OME 890&#39;s, 285 Duratracs

Quote Originally Posted by Okie81
    ....and then there's the beeping sound as well, which sounds like an "Artist Alert" for those who have a Sirius Radio receiver.

39k on a 2002?! That's amazing. sounds like a nice rig, welcome!
    it's been so long since I have driven it in bad weather that I forgot about the beep! Lol

Thanks for the reply so good to hear the noise is normal. i made such a good find on the truck I keep waiting to find something terrible about it you know what i mean? so far it is just great, and yes today 39,682 miles on the truck.
    I will have to figure out how to post pictures here.
    So YOTAFUN you say just like all wheel drive? I can just drive in 4x4 on ice and snow by using the push button on Tcase selector shift? man thats awesome!
    87 4 runner turbo 4x4 <br />09 Tacoma 4x4<br />97 4 runner limited<br />02 4 runner 4x4 sport<br />10 Corolla S

NICE STEPDAD HAS THE SAME COLOR ONE TOO!!!!!

yeah when you push the button its just like having all-wheel drive, for wet and loose stuff mostly, then you lock the center diff for snow and mud and the rough stuff.

I just love it. First mod was to install Viper auto start, really nice to jump in a warm truck when it is covered in snow outside, I see you are in PA, I am up in Wellsboro.

Got any tips on preventing rust on these babies?

Spray the under carriage with a product called fluid film. If you cant find it in your local stores they sell it at mcmaster carr online.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Only tip I have is clean the undercarriage good after the winter season and any off-road trips.
    First really warm day of spring I put my bathing suit on and lay underthe truck and go to town, same after any offroad trip.

Thanks I am spending a lot of time on non paved roads so I will be washing it alot, not good bathing suite weather right now though. This Fluid Film; needs prep work first?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast