Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel trucks from the big 3

Diesel trucks from the big 3

I may be looking to get a diesel soon and would like some input regarding the big 3 and what to look for/not look for and tell me some opinions.

also if this is in the wrong section.. my bad

I'll explain the use for it later
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Re: Diesel trucks from the big 3

I like the Cummins engine in the Dodge the best, especially when coupled with a 6spd. I like the Ford exterior/interior design the best, but the only Ford I would look at are the older ones with the 7.3 powerstroke. The 6.0 and 6.4 powerstrokes have had issues. The 2011 Super Duty is really nice, and it comes with a new 6.7 powerstroke. Considering Ford's track history with the powerstrokes the past few years, I wouldn't be in any hurry to buy a 6.7.

I haven't heard much bad about Duramax in the GMC/Chevy trucks. The early ones had injector issues, but that was sorted out in the first year or two. AFAIK, the Allison tranny behind the Duramax is probably the best in any HD pickup. Downside to the Chevy/GMC is that they have IFS instead of a solid axle like the HD Ford and Dodge trucks do. Nice thing about IFS though, is that it has r&p steering.

Just my $.02.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Yeah I like the Chevy for the IFS, not like im going to jack this thing up anyways. I may lift it 4 inches just to level and throw a more aggressive tire underneath, but Im looking at this more for the bigger bed, lighting, pelican cases everywhere, lumber and set building shit and possibly a camper shell for longer trips.

I'm thinking about traveling with it and doing shoots on location basically. possibly either going to cities where the agency will have the models on hand or be taking a model with me and packing her shit in the truck as well lol.

yeah I heard the 6.0 powerstroke was a pos. so yeah it would def be the 7.3 if i was to get it, which im assuming ended in 03?

Heard issues about the dodge not regarding the cummins, more like the trannies, other misc nonsense and what not. any thoughts?

I want to know if the Chevy would be the same.. interior really isnt much of an issue, as long as its somewhat clean, seats are comfortable, has good enough interior lighting.. and more cupholders than I know what to deal with.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Dan pretty much summed it up perfectly.

I personally on an HD truck do not like the IFS but to each his own I guess.
    As far as the trans regarding the Dodge, its mainly the Autos I have heard having issues, If you can find a manual one you are set.

What size are you looking to go with here?
    Reg Cab, Ext, Crew?
    What bed size are you also looking for?
    Short, Long?
    You mentioned slight lift, so I am presuming you want 4WD?

Also price range?

I have always wanted a Diesel,
    Eventually might get one.
    And if I were to choose, I would stick with a Ford, Great look, Motor, and overall not that bad of a drive train (axle wise at least)
    If you can find one with a Manual trans that would be awesome!

Here is a tastefully done Crewcab short bed:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4X4-7...item45eff47e8c

And here is a clean Crew Cab long bed:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...item2557dbfa49

Also looking around, it seems rare to find a 03' with the 7.3 in it.

Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept
    yeah I heard the 6.0 powerstroke was a pos. so yeah it would def be the 7.3 if i was to get it, which im assuming ended in 03?
    Yep, the 7.3 ended in early '03 with the 6.0 being offered in late '03.

Heard issues about the dodge not regarding the cummins, more like the trannies, other misc nonsense and what not. any thoughts?
    AFAIK, the NV4500 5spd and NV6500 6spd offered behind the 5.9 cummins are good trannies. The new 6.7 has a 6spd manual built buy Mercedes, and honestly, I haven't heard anything good or bad about them. I wouldn't trust any Dodge automatic tranny though.

I want to know if the Chevy would be the same.. interior really isnt much of an issue, as long as its somewhat clean, seats are comfortable, has good enough interior lighting.. and more cupholders than I know what to deal with.
    If you don't mind IFS, I think Chevy makes ok trucks, and I think they have the best auto tranny. I'd take a Cummins over a Duramax though. Personally, I like the exterior design of the GMC more than I do the Chevy. One nice thing about the Chevy/GMC is that they were available with the 4 wheel steering on the short bed models. I heard it works great for towing, but that is one more gadget to break.

I wish Toyota would hurry up and build a HD pickup.

Anyways, that's my opinion based on some reading I've done. Maybe CJM will chime in. I think he had some experience with some of these trucks.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Avy, that first one is really nice!

Here is a nice dodge, Huge but nice, and I noticed, Dodge is the only one left that uses a lever to engage 4wd...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-CU...item439c2b3cdc

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast