Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel trucks from the big 3

Re: Diesel trucks from the big 3

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter
    Avy, that first one is really nice!
    Yeah Dan, def is nice

Forgot to mention, one other thing about the Dodge "Crew Cab" is that it is smaller than Ford or Chevy. Dodge decided to cut some corners, and instead of offering a crew cab and an extended cab, they offered a cab sized between the two (quad cab). Later, they did introduce the MegaCab with a short bed, which rides on the same wheelbase as the quad cab long bed trucks.

From what I gather, the new 2010 Ram offers a more conventional sized Crew Cab, as well as a larger Mega Cab.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Blake FWIW, the rig that's towed both Lil'Bro's as well as mine, both times has been the Chevy with IFS. Mileage sucks, even with the diesel, well, comparatively. If you want to be able to tow a 4000lb+ rig around serious mountain passes, or just about anywhere there and in between I can personally attest to it. My only complaint is the goofy looking hood vent things and the need for a more effective ground clearance and tire and wheel combination.

The alternate being as most have already said, and that being the Ford with the 7.3, I hate the Ford 6 litre engines when put up against the GM's, too many issues and service campaign's for my taste, but I have yet to have feedback on the newer models, one's coming up on 25k miles, so I can ask the guy and get that feedback if you like.

For some great info, visit the http://www.dieselplace.com forums, here's the Chevy info: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=104403

*Also seriously look into BullyDog for some sick hop-ups that will not only increase horsepower and torque, but actually run cleaner out the tailpipe. Specifically the TripleDog or WatchDog. There's even a program you can download into a PDA or moreso, supposedly an app you can throw into an I-Phone, how sick is that! Only will work with your phone if you choose, so nobody else can hammer on your rig but you.

price wise im not even sure yet.

but i think an 03-05 or so chevy is what im looking at and they are still in the 20s and sometimes 30s which is retarded imo.

that first ford though at 17.5 would be ideal. id rather have an auto, manual in atlanta sucks balls, i have already borrowed a friends maserati and in this traffic i wanted to stomp that clutch trough the floor
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

I refuse to buy anything other than a Ford with the 7.3L. Dodge, cummins is good and manual trans are good but overall quality of the truck is worse than chevy or ford. Dodges track record is horrible tbh, its not so much the mechanicals (if you get the manual trans) as the thing nitpicking you period over little junk.

Chevy is ok, duramax is so so and allison auto is really nice. Hate the IFS, to much stress on a very heavy truck imho. Poor mpg period too, power is higher than the others but still-meh. Not many of them out there too, hardly see them if ever. Did go out to a few, all had injection pump issues.

Personally im torn atm between buying a ford 7.3L x-cab and a tundra myself. There is a reason tho last night about 90% of the plow trucks I saw were all fords..We got 2 feet and every single parking lot seemed to have a crew in it. FWIW my cousin works for a big company that does plowing during the winter-they got an entire fleet of fords with the 7.3L.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I found this on wiki:

[Ford] 6.7
    This engine is codenamed Scorpion.[3] It includes compacted graphite iron (CGI) block, Aluminum cylinder heads with dual water jackets, 29,000 psi (1,999 bar) high-pressure common rail Bosch fuel system. The system delivers up to five injection events per cylinder per cycle using eight-hole piezo injectors to spray fuel into the piston bowl. B20 biodiesel support (allowing greener fueling options of up to 20 percent biodiesel and 80 percent petroleum diesel). Unique inboard exhaust and outboard intake architecture, an automotive-industry first for a modern production diesel engine. Honeywell’s single-sequential turbocharger features an industry-first double-sided compressor wheel mounted on a single shaft. Combines the benefits of a small turbocharger (faster response) and a large turbocharger (ability to compress and force more air into the engine for more power) in one unit. [4]

Emissions controls include exhaust gas recirculation, Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR), Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF).

Output is planned to be 390 hp (291 kW) and 720 lb·ft (976 N·m).[5]

This engine was designed and manufactured by Ford, thus ending its legal problems with Navistar due to the high number of warranty claims on the 6.0 engine.
    From what I understand, the 7.3 was designed by Ford. The 6.0 and 6.4 were designed by Navistar and weren't that good. If the 6.7 is being designed by Ford, than maybe the 6.7 will turn out being a good engine.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Dan the 7.3 was built by International, I don't know if it was a joint vetnure to build with Ford, or if Ford just got the motor like Dodge got theirs from Cummin's.

We have a few international trucks at the school that have the 7.3 in it.

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    I refuse to buy anything other than a Ford with the 7.3L. Dodge, cummins is good and manual trans are good but overall quality of the truck is worse than chevy or ford. Dodges track record is horrible tbh, its not so much the mechanicals (if you get the manual trans) as the thing nitpicking you period over little junk.

Chevy is ok, duramax is so so and allison auto is really nice. Hate the IFS, to much stress on a very heavy truck imho. Poor mpg period too, power is higher than the others but still-meh. Not many of them out there too, hardly see them if ever. Did go out to a few, all had injection pump issues.

Personally im torn atm between buying a ford 7.3L x-cab and a tundra myself. There is a reason tho last night about 90% of the plow trucks I saw were all fords..We got 2 feet and every single parking lot seemed to have a crew in it. FWIW my cousin works for a big company that does plowing during the winter-they got an entire fleet of fords with the 7.3L.
    whats the mileage like in the 7.3?

that is an issue, i saw some guys say their chevy is getting 16-17, i was hoping more like 18-20, possibly better.

I need to hit up the dealership and check em out, give em a drive.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast