Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Diesel trucks from the big 3

Re: Diesel trucks from the big 3

oh and what about an older dodge, 2000-2001, still problems with those as well CJM? I do remember my moms 1990 dodge minivan that had 3 trannies replaced, so thats my only issue.

The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    Dan the 7.3 was built by International, I don't know if it was a joint vetnure to build with Ford, or if Ford just got the motor like Dodge got theirs from Cummin's.
    . . . and the Chevy Duramax is an Isuzu engine, correct?
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    Dan the 7.3 was built by International, I don't know if it was a joint vetnure to build with Ford, or if Ford just got the motor like Dodge got theirs from Cummin's.

We have a few international trucks at the school that have the 7.3 in it.
    Thanks, I stand corrected. That's what I thought too, but I think I just missread a wiki article. Your're right though.

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    . . . and the Chevy Duramax is an Isuzu engine, correct?
    Yup.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept

whats the mileage like in the 7.3?

that is an issue, i saw some guys say their chevy is getting 16-17, i was hoping more like 18-20, possibly better.

I need to hit up the dealership and check em out, give em a drive.

Its a big truck, mpg isnt exactly what you should really be after. But they generally get 16mpg or so at best, remember its a heavy truck.

A diesel tuner chip, some good exhaust and some other mods you can easily get up to 3mpg or better than stock.

What I can tell you is that the chevy has more towing capacity and power but at the cost of the IFS and imho the wonderful GM build quality. Its a shame the Ford isnt rated higher-but you gotta remember that they built it in responses to the super duty lol.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

With a tuner chip you can set it to eco mode and get decent gas mileage
    but like Marc said, its a BIG truck, if your worried about mileage get a Tundra Crew cab...

yeah but gas mileage is always a concern, with any vehicle, noone expects hybrid numbers, but the best out of the 3 is good enough.

regardless, i had a long hard talk today with a toyota tech here in atlanta, and my options have broadened, I may even look at the new tundra, bed space, and cabin space is really the requirement, im not looking to tow a horse trailer with this, just payload capacity.

For pure payload capacity a gas engine will do fine.

Fords 5.4L is ok, by 04 they corrected the shallow head spark plug cross thread issue. Still that motor is strong, but make sure it was cared for if you buy used! They EAT oil and I know it-we got 2 work vans with over 200k on them with the 5.4L and about 1-2 qts of oil needs to be added about every 500 miles. Otherwise very strong motor.

If all you need is bed and cabin space and perhaps better payload than a regular old toyota sized truck can, a lighter duty model like a 1/4 ton might be it. F150 is rated at like 7000lbs towing and I think about 2500lbs payload.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

id rather have something with a V8, t100 is out of the question, older tacomas are also out of the question.

maybe a new tacoma... but like i said v8 is what im thinking, maybe an 07 tundra.

def not a fan of the ford 1/2 tons.

i may just look for an 07 tundra with the 5.7. this will also be a transport vehicle in a way for some models too so it needs to be a bit newer and clean.

Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept
    id rather have something with a V8, t100 is out of the question, older tacomas are also out of the question.

maybe a new tacoma... but like i said v8 is what im thinking, maybe an 07 tundra.

def not a fan of the ford 1/2 tons.

i may just look for an 07 tundra with the 5.7. this will also be a transport vehicle in a way for some models too so it needs to be a bit newer and clean.
    Just to give you a heads up, the 5.7l is a guzzler, I drove my uncles mega cab around and I could never break 14mpg...
    At that rate I would get a diesel and Tune it and possibly get more

damn really? saw gains of 19 on highway.

Just not sure where to head atm. A lot of people tell me a dodge 1 ton is the way to go, and others are telling me ford, though pretty much everybody has told me chevy completely sucks sans transmission

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast