Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squeaking belts

Squeaking belts

When I bought the 4Runner 2 years ago it was cold out and when you started the thing the belts would squeak. I replaced the belts with ones from the dealer and all was well. The old belts seemed like they were in perfect condition as did the pulleys. For some reason I thought that the original squeak was from the PS belt but I don't know why I thought that.

Well it's been another year and it's cold again and sure enough they squeak. The belts are still good and I don't want to spray anything on them. I've checked the tension and everything is within spec and I'm reluctant to tighten them any more. Should I try a different brand belt? Any home brew tricks? I just want to quiet them as the 4Runner sounds all ghetto when I fire it up. Worst is when I start it, let it idle and then once I start moving it squeals again as I get up to speed. I tend to laugh it off but it's starting to wear on me.

Re: Squeaking belts

try taking a wire brush to the pulleys to clean the grooves out - if there's enough room in there I've been known to do this with the engine running, but that's probably not recommended for safety sake (loose sleeves, fingers, all kinds of things could go wrong)
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

I will have to try taht, i am having the same issue and I can't stand it anymore...

Same here - two years later and my Delco belts are squeaking when cold. I thought mine were making noise because they were non-OEM, but 4x4 Mike has OEM and they squeaky too, huh.
    '96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.

mine are napa... just for the info

I've cleaned them but maybe a wire brush will do the trick. I'll have the be careful though. About 5 years ago I cut my thumb off on my fixed gear bicycle while cleaning the chain. My bike, 10 years experience as a mechanic just not paying attention and in like two shakes of a lambs tail I had a stump and saw the tip of my thumb on the ground. They sewed it back on so I'm good and it works about the same. I just don't want to do the same in an engine compartment.

maybe tie/tape a wire brush to the end of a broken broom handle
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

^ smart idea.

I wouldnt ever do it with my fingers in there. Got the fan going, and everything else-not a good thing.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Please no one ever put your fingers in close proximity to a moving fan belt for any reason ever, too much can go wrong in milliseconds. I've had a few close calls myself in the past. Ok, off my soapbox now.

With dirty or rusty pulleys I usually just remove the belts and clean the pulleys manually with a metal (brass or steel) brush. Beyond that either the tension isn't right, pulleys too worn or belts need replacing.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Interesting. My belts are squealing like mad! I will try cleaning the pulleys.....
    Cupholder Mod

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast