Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2002 4Runner Sport Edition Trans Cooler Leak

2002 4Runner Sport Edition Trans Cooler Leak

We are just having nothing but bad luck it seems when it comes to anything transmission related in my stepdad 2002 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD.

Tired to sleep in today till I got a phone call around 10am,
    Stpedad: "our trucks take this kind of trans fluid right?"
    Me: "Yeah, but why do you need it?"
    Stepdad: "well on the way to work today I was going up the one hill and the trans started to slip"
    (me in my mind saying F*&%!!!)
    Me: "Well maybe its due to the fact that you need that tune up bad"
    Stepdad: "I don't know, could be, I am going to get the fluid and check it I will call you back"

1/2 hour later
    Stepdad: "Well I checked it and it was practically empty, so I add fluid, but I can see its definitely leaking somewhere at the bottom"
    Me: "Alright I will grab the spare keys and come take a look at it, hopefully its just a hose that has cracked or come loose on the trans cooler"

Hour later, get in the truck, DON'T Start it, Push it out of the spot, popped the hood.
    After popping the hood I knew that I didn't even have to get the truck on ramps to check the coolant line.

What I found when I popped the hood was a nice overflow reservoir fulled with dark red fluid.
    I open the radiator cap and YUP, pink coolant.
    FML to the extreme at this point.

As you all know the trans was rebuilt at around 100K due to the OD planetary gear failure...
    its now 300 miles past 200K and we have this issue.
    Weather is extreme but not THAT extreme when it come in terms of temps, so I am trying to figure out how the busted trans cooler happen....

He is getting a tow later to the local steeler where they I am sure will do there diag.
    I know myself it will need a new radiator, complete coolant system flush, a complete trans flush, and probably a filter replacement on the trans.

What I want to know is will what I just listed save the trans or should I be on the hunt for a new one?
    If so, will a trans from a 1997 4Runner fit?
    If so, I will give stepdad my trans and I know someone selling one that has 201k on it and put it in my truck if need be.

Of course this is happening 2 days before we are suppose to make a 600 mile round trip to Virginia with it, But I am glad it happen here and not on the road down.
    I was going to do the Tune up and brakes tomorrow, but now it just looks like its on hold for now...

SO sorry for the long story but I am just severely pissed off at the moment cause I am not ready to loose this truck, and frankly we can't afford it since stepdad just got notice that sometime soon in the next year he will be laid off AGAIN! (this would be the 4th job, thank you oh so great economy...)

End Rant and thanks in advance guys!!!

Re: 2002 4Runner Sport Edition Trans Cooler Leak

Strawberry Milkshake strikes again! Ugh, that sucks, sorry to hear.
    2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4-Dub<br />TRD supercharger,&nbsp; Toytec Coilovers, OME 890&#39;s, 285 Duratracs

You should be ok as long as you replace the radiator, flush the cooling system (obviously don't forget the overflow tank) and flush the transmission. The trans cooler in the radiator letting go has much less to do with extreme temps and is far more likely to do with cooling system maintenance (typically corrosion of the wall separating the two fluids) although I'm sure there are other possibilities as well. I've seen this happen a few times and often just a flush will be enough to keep the transmission running fine. Hopefully it all works out well with minimal expenditures.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Thank Jamie,
    The Runner is at Toyota now, hopefully I can trust those guys...

Probably just age and corrosion Avy, the rad does have 200k on it as does the lines and cooler.

I say you flush it all well and if trans goes it goes, but flushing should be ok imho.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Yeah, well I just called stepdad and it actually arrived at the dealer and hour ago, he is just waiting on a call back but I gave him a heads what we all think it is

from all the stories i have been reading on this issue it seems the majority just flush out the tranny and everything is ok. Seems like this is happening more and more. Its nice of you to offer your transmission but i believe that the 01 and 02 are different from the other 3rd gens. (I could be wrong)
    Hope it all works out
    02 Sport (Sporticus)<br />881 / 906 OME Combo, 275/65/16 Faulken High Country AT&#39;s, Syntheic Fluids,Brembo / Hawk Combo and two car seats for the future wheelers<br /><br />2010 Highlander SE- Wife&#39;s kid transporter.<br /><br />1998 Tacoma- 2.7 liters of fury...after that is pretty plain and stock

YotaFun,

Same thing happened to me earlier this year, in the cold on January. Just flushed both systems and the trans is still good. To prevent it from happening again, I just by-passed the rad/trans cooler and went directly to my aux trans cooler. If you want to do the same, check if you can save some cash by ordering a rad for a manual 4runner. I paid $340 (Canadian)for the rad and $300 for the fluids to flush and some cash for my mechanic's time to flush everything. The filter is fine, it pretty much gets cleaned up by the flush, so there is no need for breaking open the fluid pan.
    02 4Runner SR5.

Well gents our diag was right,
    $1300 later from the stealer stepdad is getting:
    new radiator
    new thermostat
    new belts
    trans flush
    coolant flush

he is do for a timming belt and tune up but I told him to just hold off cause I would check the belt if he really needed and use my discount and do the plugs and wires myself and we would do the oil change too.

Brunoski,

I will probably do this for m. Truck in the spring or summer when I get stepdad and I these trans coolers (I think this is a sign saying to get it done lol!!!)

thanks for the help gents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast