Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4Runner Steering Rack Replacement

Re: 4Runner Steering Rack Replacement

Turned out the first rack I got from Garo Steering was no good. There is definitely something wrong internally with the rack. Originally I thought it might be the spool valve, but you can feel the rack binding even when just turning the rack by hand (that's not a good sign) so it may be a combination of things. I'm not impressed at the quality so far on this one, but I emailed them for a replacement. I'll report back when I have another rack from them. Major PITA shipping stuff this far so hopefuly it comes quickly.

For now I installed a rack from the junkyard until I get a replacement.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

that's not the update in this thread i wanted to see...
    sorry to hear that. can't you just get new seals and whatnot to replace on the junkyard rack? you'd only be out a weekend if you did the work, no?
    1996 SR5 4Runner
    3.4 5speed 4x4 165k

Quote Originally Posted by Nuthuts96
    that's not the update in this thread i wanted to see...
    sorry to hear that. can't you just get new seals and whatnot to replace on the junkyard rack? you'd only be out a weekend if you did the work, no?
    I'm getting close to just investing in the tools needed to rebuild these racks myself because it's just rediculous not to be able to get a decent rack at a resaonable price up here. I've torn down my old rack and I can tell you that rebuilding these is not for the faint of heart (you do need some special service tools and a press at a minimum). I'll post some pics but the spool valve assembly can be removed very easily and servicing requires just one SST. The part that is tough to service is the rack itself and the main rack housing.

The achilles heel on these steering racks seem to be concentrated on the driver's side. The reason for this seems to be because there is no sleeve bushing on that side like there is on the passenger side. Instead there is just the steering gear on one side and a metal roller on the other (not as good as a brass or even plastic bushing which goes around the entire surface of the rack). Most racks I've seen start out with excessive play between the roller and the gear which then translates into leaking seals as the wear gets worse. So it's not as simple as just replacing the seals on everything.

If I get more time and it's a little warmer out I may just try a rebuild on a steering rack for people to see. The kits are around $50 so if your rack isn't in bad shape this may be an option to getting a remaned rack.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Finally ordered a brand new (not remanufactured) rack from Toyota (shipped from US) to fix the problem, I'll post picks once I get it and start the install. I also ordered all the parts to do the rear wheel bearings and to fix my parking brake bellcranks (which have started to rust again). It cost a pretty penny, but hopefully I'll have the truck for a few more years to justify the cost.

Just as an FYI, there are the part numbers I ordered to do the steering rack and tie rods.

44250-35042 (1) Rack Assy, NEW (see photo, highlighted P/N is discontinued)
    45046-39335 (1) RH, Outer tie rod (4runner)
    45047-39215 (1) LH, Outer tie rod (4runner)
    90170-20003 (2) Tie Rod Adjustment Nut, Hexagon
    44416-04020 (1) Steering Fluid Return, Tube

If you have a Tacoma, you need to substitute the outer tie rods above for:
    45046-39295 (1) RH, Outer tie rod (Tacoma)
    45047-39175 (1) LH, Outer tie rod (Tacoma)

eek, i hear those racks are close to a grand! but, i kind of agree in purchasing a new one if the quality of the rebuilt racks is so poor. steering is kind of an important think, something i wouldnt want to skimp on.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Just curious, don't mean to go too much off topic,
    But are many of you guys experiencing issues with your racks leaking?
    I am on my second rack right now and its about ready to have to be replaced again,
    I keep getting a leak right at the steering box where the column goes right in.

I have the bl but I have the space to take care of that so I am just curious if its a 3rd gen thing...

never a leak on mine. just a bit of slop from a beaten 12 year old rack.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    eek, i hear those racks are close to a grand! but, i kind of agree in purchasing a new one if the quality of the rebuilt racks is so poor. steering is kind of an important think, something i wouldnt want to skimp on.
    I paid $700 wholesale for the rack alone, but still big dollars for everything and shipping to Canada for just the rack was over $180 on top of the other amount. At least I was able to save on the labor a bit.

If I could recommend something that would save people money later, it would be to completely skip the rebuilt racks altogether and either get a Toyota remanufactured rack (P/N 44200-35042-84, I didn't go this route because the core is too expensive to ship so it's almost as expensive as a brand new rack) or a brand new rack from Toyota (44250-35042). I'll end up eating the costs on the other used and rebuilt racks, but I'm still way ahead of what a new rack up here would go for (new rack from the dealer is $1400 + tax!!!).

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    Just curious, don't mean to go too much off topic,
    But are many of you guys experiencing issues with your racks leaking?
    I am on my second rack right now and its about ready to have to be replaced again,
    I keep getting a leak right at the steering box where the column goes right in.

I have the bl but I have the space to take care of that so I am just curious if its a 3rd gen thing...
    Problem with most of the racks I've seen up here (mine included) is too much play on the driver's side of the rack (ie the rack has play perpendicular to the normal linear motion of the steering rack and pinion). I'm hoping the next one will be put in by the new owner of my old truck at some point in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
    Problem with most of the racks I've seen up here (mine included) is too much play on the driver's side of the rack (ie the rack has play perpendicular to the normal linear motion of the steering rack and pinion). I'm hoping the next one will be put in by the new owner of my old truck at some point in the future.
    Hi Jamie,

I'm having similar rack issues on my '99 Taco 4x4 at the moment (it won't pass a safety check to reg it, because of excessive play on the driver's side wheel), and have been pondering whether to go the junkyard, reman or new part route. Like you, I'm up in Canada, and have been frustrated with the unavailability and high cost of the parts up here!

Can you please tell us where you got your new wholesale-priced rack from? A local shop here is quoting me about $600 for a remanufactured rack, so $700 for a new one would be pretty darn good (since, as you said, the new Toyota part is around $1400!). Also, did Canada customs charge you duty on this part, and if so, how much was it?

Did you consider ordering parts from the "toyotasteering.com" family of sites? They have a "new" rack for about $350, and they quoted me about $100 for shipping, but I wasn't sure if these were genuine Toyota parts or some dodgy aftermarket crap.

Sorry for all the questions, but it's hard to find a fellow Canadian on these sites with similar problems, and we seem to have unique procurement issues even though we basically share a landmass with the rest of north america... argh.

The junkyard part is available to me right now, and would be $120, off a car with about 170k on it... doesn't sound totally appealing, but it might do enough to pass the inspection, although I'd be worried about it developing further issues pretty soon, especially since it's from a used vehicle up here in snowland and not the warm dry south.

Does anyone else have opinions on junkyard versus remanufactured racks?

Looking forward to the updates; thanks for a good thread!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast