Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cost of owning an Iphone

Cost of owning an Iphone

what is it? and, hoe does the GPS work? will it work when you are in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception?
    94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.

Re: Cost of owning an Iphone

Save your money and get a Garmin or other quality instrument designed to work off of sat-feed. No coverage means just that, and if you try to free connect you pay out the butt for the time on the connection.

The chip in my old garmin, that covered the entire U.S. (streets, county, unimproved road, and mapping I added) was the size of my thumbnail. Nuf said.

*It was a demo version, but IIRC it is now the Oregon 450 model(?): https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145

[EDIT] The Oregon 450T: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=63350

Here are the reviews off of GeoCaching.com: http://www.geocaching.com/reviews/gp...in_oregon-450t

I pretty much exclusively use that site or GeoLadders for info as there is such a strong user base in both places.

I have a Garmin Oregon 300 and love it. It has all of the features of the 450t, but without the built-in topo maps.

You don&#39;t need to get a GPS with built-in Topo maps, it&#39;s easy to find free topo maps for Garmin GPS units of any state in the US on www.GPSFileDepot.com, I have 20 ft contour maps of Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado on my GPS right now, all free and excellent quality!
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

iPhone : required $30 / month data plan

And that is on top of your minuets plan.
    I sprung for the $20 / month unlimited txting

But yeah, If your in the boonies with no cell service, you can't use the GPS.
    I believe the GPS runs off of the 3G network, triangulates your position from 3 seperate cell towers..

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

the cost of owning one is enough, that I feel like smacking someone (especially a younger someone) if they have an iphone and they complain that they can't afford health insurance.

Yep, like scuba said, on top of your regular phone plan, you have to have the $30 unlimited data plan (which doesn't include texts ) and then a text plan if you use that often. Same goes with the blackberries now (at least with at&t)
    My signature

yeah, I figured the cell plan is gonna be a *******. I had a chance for a cheap Iphone, but picked up a at&t blackjack instead. my cell plan is the lowest bare bone level, no text, no email and I tend to keep it that way. I just had it unlocked, hopefully I can get the GPS setup in the next couple hours.
    94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.

I have an iPhone, and I still have my GPS.
    The iPhone is def not a replacement for the GPS.

I have the iPhone cause I am barely home and needed something to be able to do stuff away from the PC without carring around a huge ass laptop.

gotcha, I have wifi at home and free wifi at school, internet over the cellphone isn't any good for me. plus, I hate texting, I can talk a lot faster than push the number keys.

just finished setting up the BJII, pretty cool. GPS is up and running even without a SIM card.

phone with SIM pulled:

Garmin started to load:

ready:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast