Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me identify this problem please!

Help me identify this problem please!

Rather than resurrect several dead threads I wanted to consolidate these separate issues into one thread. This is the part of the trail that started it all

[img width=800 height=532]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/wtfniga/MJA_6969-1.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=532]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/wtfniga/MJA_6970.jpg[/img]

Now it stalled coming out, jump started the starter and was able to get towed the last couple inches to gain traction. Was able to drive it back home the 50 miles with the check engine light on but would stall at idle and run really groggy. It was throwing 4 generic cel's but decided I'd get them rechecked after the next day's maintenance.

Yesterday I took the intake and airbox out, cleaned both, cleaned the MAF, cleaned the throttle body, new air filter...confirmed no water made it past the intake, a rotten seal on the air tube allowed enough water to get in the airbox to trash my air filter.

While I was at it I gave a really generous...maybe overly generous...scrub down of simple green, with the intake and airbox out I admit i was probably lackadaisical in my spraying of chemical and water, may have shot it in the wrong places but did tape off the throttle opening as well as open hoses from everything being dismantled. Started it up and voila no more stalling. But idle went really high and there is a very loud whining noise, seems to be coming from the driver side of the engine towards the front.

Maybe whine isn't the best word but its obnoxiously loud like its never been. Anyways, double checked hoses, the ones going into the intake are getting old and the tips don't look like they provide a good seal. The pcv hose tip is also deteriorating and with the truck on I took it off the valve where I saw the inside was really black. However, pulling off and putting on the hose made its own noises, but it was unrelated to the noise thats still persisting.

Anyways, assembled everything again, fired it up like I said started a lot better but CEL came on. Went to AutoZone and found P0172 (System too rich , bank 1) and P0107 (MAF/VAF). Had her clear the codes assuming if the problem was legitimate the same CEL's would surface. Drove it last night and this morning with the same annoyances but no check engine. Its at the muffler shop getting a new one beause the Vortex cracked big time (don't know if it was before or after the dive) but am trying to diagnose this. I am considering replacing the o2 sensor and if its not too expensive just getting a new pcv valve (price anyone?).

Sorry for the long post, have a long time to think about this all while I'm waiting for the truck.

Read the mass of other threads I can say the idle is buggy but I haven't noticed a power loss really, just not running as smoothly as I'd like. Trying to cover the basics for anyone willing to jump in on this one

EDIT:

Got the truck back with the Magnaflow muffler. The throttle feels a lot better and it seems like this noise is the only problem now....no CEL yet. I got a video of the noise you should be able to hear it, maybe I can just hear it better because I know what I'm listening for, but let me know what you think? It was whining towards the end of the trip too?

My first guess is going to be alternator, maybe the bearing
    <br /><br />
    883/LC with OME/PC shocks ∙ 2&quot; body lift ∙ ARB bull bar
    ∙ KC/IPF aux lighting ∙ 33&quot; BFG all terrains ∙ custom rocker panels ∙ vortex cherrybomb ∙ couple other things ∙

Re: Help me identify this problem please!

It might be the alternator has gone bad from getting a bunch of muddy water in it. I would also drain your engine oil to make sure there's no water in it.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

I know that whine and this is how I know:

Mine was a mixture of all accessories from doing a similar thing you did.
    New A/c idler pulley and alternator later, then the issue was gone :-)

Very nice thanks. I just went and used a stethoscope and man that thing is really roaring. It stinks because the guy at AutoZone said its "charging the hell out of my battery" haha, I hate that noise though so I guess a bearing is enough reason to purchase. I guess I'll post up in a couple hours
    <br /><br />
    ∙ KC/IPF aux lighting ∙ 33&quot; BFG all terrains ∙ custom rocker panels ∙ vortex cherrybomb ∙ couple other things ∙

I went and got a used one from a guy on TTora, it was one out of a 99 I think that has an 80 AMP output as appose the the 70 AMP that the older runners put out.

Not a huge improvement but its better then what we have stock

Nice well I dropped the money for an AutoZone one, voila! Thanks for the input guys. Does sound like I have a little supercharger sound now that whines with the rpms, sounds like a bearing maybe I'm just being over analytical because its so quiet now haha
    <br /><br />

haha, was about to say that is the alt making that noise. You can tear it down and rebuild it... I did that to one of mine and used marine grease when I repacked the bearings.....
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Quote Originally Posted by MillerPKA
    Nice well I dropped the money for an AutoZone one, voila! Thanks for the input guys. Does sound like I have a little supercharger sound now that whines with the rpms, sounds like a bearing maybe I'm just being over analytical because its so quiet now haha
    if it still has that whine, remove the a/c belt and start it up and see if it goes away, might be that idler pulley at the bottom of the engine.

I have actually replaced mine 3 times, 3rd time doing what Bruce did and practically soaked the thing in marine grease, I have gone through plenty since and no issues

If it was the a/c pulley wouldn't it only come on when the a/c is on? I've tried switching mid drive it has no effect, it sounds like it goes with the rpms, only while pressing on the gas, sounds like I have engine mods but it can't be anything good
    <br /><br />

the ac belt moves at all times the engine moves, so if its bearing, or the ac idler's bearing is bad, it will squeak. the compressor has a magnetic clutch that engages when you press the "A/C" button, causing the compressor to lock to the pulley and then spin.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast