Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me identify this problem please!

Re: Help me identify this problem please!

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    the ac belt moves at all times the engine moves, so if its bearing, or the ac idler's bearing is bad, it will squeak. the compressor has a magnetic clutch that engages when you press the "A/C" button, causing the compressor to lock to the pulley and then spin.
    What he said.

I remember Avy and I trying to diagnose this, he wound up replacing everything in the end cause it was a feel good thing and it turned out to be the right thing to do.

I second the marine grease, nothing special just off the shelf stuff should work. My truck makes the same whine but not as loud.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Any link or supplement would be good as I've never messed with the a/c or its components. I bought my 4runner in summer of 06 with no a/c in south Georgia heat. After riding out the whole summer with the hopeless notion that the back window would somewhow cure my lack of air conditioning I found one from another 4runner and got it swapped in...definitely have not looked back since
    <br /><br />
    883/LC with OME/PC shocks ∙ 2&quot; body lift ∙ ARB bull bar
    ∙ KC/IPF aux lighting ∙ 33&quot; BFG all terrains ∙ custom rocker panels ∙ vortex cherrybomb ∙ couple other things ∙

Quote Originally Posted by BruceTS
    haha, was about to say that is the alt making that noise. You can tear it down and rebuild it... I did that to one of mine and used marine grease when I repacked the bearings.....
    X2

They are quite easy to rebuild and most auto-electric shops will stock the parts for a complete rebuild.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by MillerPKA
    Any link or supplement would be good as I've never messed with the a/c or its components. I bought my 4runner in summer of 06 with no a/c in south Georgia heat. After riding out the whole summer with the hopeless notion that the back window would somewhow cure my lack of air conditioning I found one from another 4runner and got it swapped in...definitely have not looked back since :bigok:
    Just undo the idler pulley and take the AC belt off. Very simple to do by loosening the pulley front nut and tunring the adjuster counter-clockwise. Also a good idea to use that stethoscope to pinpoint any noises.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
    Just undo the idler pulley and take the AC belt off. Very simple to do by loosening the pulley front nut and tunring the adjuster counter-clockwise. Also a good idea to use that stethoscope to pinpoint any noises.
    I can't remember but don't you have to take off the power steering belt to to access the ac belt?

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    I can't remember but don't you have to take off the power steering belt to to access the ac belt?
    No, the A/C belt is the outermost, and doesn't go around the fan.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox
    Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    No, the A/C belt is the outermost, and doesn't go around the fan.
    Thanks guys. The nut was on there like a you know what so I had to put it on hold because I had to gut my interior as well as install projectors. I wanted to go to my local shop and have them loosen it for me with an air gun and I'd drive it back here to do myself but this new girl said it could cost 12 bucks....yeah, I'll give it another stab today. Couldn't find any bearings in town so I coughed up $27 and got a new one, the one on there now is looking raunchy
    <br /><br />
    ∙ KC/IPF aux lighting ∙ 33&quot; BFG all terrains ∙ custom rocker panels ∙ vortex cherrybomb ∙ couple other things ∙

Crap. Did I miss where you said you got rid of the CEL's?

Sounds like the exact problem I am having with my new '94 FJ80. The PO said the CEL came on and the engine started sputtering after going through a large water hole. It went off after he cleaned the MAF and TB. He was getting the "too rich" code.

Now the CEL came back on. Need to find someone with an OBD reader, as I only have a OBD2
    1996 4x4 4Runner<br /><br />Suspension: 6&quot; Trailmaster/Fabtech Knuckles/Sonoran Steel shocks/coils. Rear LC coils/shocks<br />Offroad: 315/75/16 MTR&#39;s, ARB, M8000, E-locker, sliders, MV-50 compressor, CBI tire carrier, Cobra CB, Kragen HID&#39;s.

Yeah the cel's are gone, I cleared them through Advance but in my experience if the code wasn't in error then it should pop back on, been driving it for a couple days and runs fine besides the pulley which I have yet to put on. Have you checked the wires? MAFs can be damaged beyond repair where a cleaning wouldn't help.
    <br /><br />

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast