Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breaking down and getting a Moto Droid

Re: Breaking down and getting a Moto Droid

Different strokes for different folks... I'm looking forward to having a miniature laptop in the palm of my hand

On another note, frickin' FedEx didn't deliver on Saturday, so I've been having to wait until Monday for the phone... The anticipation is killing me!!!!
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

I'm posting this on my new phone! This is frickin' awesome!
    Brian
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Cool.

(From my phone)

Well I'm definitely going to enjoy this thing , it is literally a miniature computer. I've downloaded a small collection of apps and have been figuring out all of the little bells and whistles.

Most of all I can get on the interwebs from anywhere, looking forward to being able to surf in the airport, in the car, anywhere : )
    Brian

Does Verizon allow tethering with the Droid? If so, that would be a major selling point for me. I played around with a Droid at the Verizon store yesterday, and those are some nice phones. AFAIK, AT&T doesn't support tethering.

I will say the service we got at the Verizon store was horrible. Had to wait nearly an hour before even saying hi to a rep.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter
    AFAIK, AT&T doesn't support tethering.
    Not so sure about that Dan, I know Blackberry users can tether.

Wow...I did not know that. I wonder if I could tether with the iphone?
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Wow...I did not know that. I wonder if I could tether with the iphone?
    I haven't tried but I don't think you can since the way it syncs with the pc is through iTunes (thank you mac)

Does Verizon allow tethering with the Droid? If so, that would be a major selling point for me. I played around with a Droid at the Verizon store yesterday, and those are some nice phones. AFAIK, AT&T doesn't support tethering.
    Although it's not really allowed by the Verizon TOS, it's possible to tether via USB with a simple download. http://www.taranfx.com/how-to-tether-motorola-droid

If you've even more brave, you can "root" the droid, which replaces the operating kernel/system with a hacked version of the software. This can turn your phone into a mobile hot spot too. I'm not brave enough to root my droid yet, but I might consider tethering later on...

The issue is that you could theoretically get in trouble with Verizon for it, but there isn't really any way to tell the phone has been tethered unless you're pulling a TON of data through it. With the android operating system being open-source, it very easy for third parties to develop most anything to get around Verizon's lockouts, so they're going to either end up allowing it, or trying to lock things down again. We will see.

I will say the service we got at the Verizon store was horrible. Had to wait nearly an hour before even saying hi to a rep.
    I don't even bother with the stores anyway, the people are too used-car-salesman-esque. I shop online instead.
    Brian

Well I'm still loving his phone, and happily my wife has really gotten into hers too. I'm really happy with it right now because the internet just went down, but I can still surf ; )

I haven't tried any tethering software yet, but the option is there if I decide I want to try it out. This phone rocks!
    Brian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast