Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Some Car Buying Advise | Update: Scammer Revenge

Need Some Car Buying Advise | Update: Scammer Revenge

Hey all,

I found a 2000 4Runner for sale that I'm pretty interested in. It's a good deal with fairly low mileage and a 5spd. It's been 9 years since I purchased a vehicle, and I could use some advise.

I ran a carfax, and the last entry was for a "registration renewed/issued and a loan or lein reported". This was a year ago. There was also a "loan or lein" issued about 3 years ago. What exactly does this mean? Where should I look to make sure this is resolved?

The 4Runner looks like it's in mint condition, but I'm awaiting pics of the frame. I'm kinda worried about rust since it's in Philly.

Anything else I should check into before looking at it?

Thanks!
    Daniel
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Re: Need Some Car Buying Advise

Here is an email I got from her this morning:

I apologize for the delay but I was busy. Thanks for being interested in buying my car 2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4X4. It is in a good condition, no scratches, no damages, never been implicated in any accidents, no problems at the engine, runs very well. It has an 3.4L V6 engine, 76,324 miles, clear title, a perfect truck. The only thing because i am selling it, because i divorced with my husband and after the divorce i own this car, now as a woman i don`t need it anymore ...

I would like to complete this transaction asap, cause I need to pay the debts at the bank and I don't have so much time at my disposal. If you have any other questions, please reply me.
    She says it has a clear title, but I'm not sure whether or not that means the lein has been taken care of.

The registration needs to be renewed this month, so I'm wondering if she is trying to dump this 4Runner quick. Maybe I'm paranoid since I've never purchased a vehicle from a stranger.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Dan ask her about the lien, maybe the debt to the bank is actually for the truck?

Also I wouldn't worry to much on the frame being this, stepdad's 4Runner has spent all its life here and is still looks pristine!!!
    And he has taken it off-road a few times.
    I can only assume this one hasn't even touched dirt, but you know what they say about assumptions....

Thanks Avy. I sent her an email asking about the lien.

Other than the exhaust, there didn't appear to be any rust in the original photos she sent me. The pictures didn't really show the underside well, so I'm waiting on more pics. The rear bumper was perfect, as well as the hitch. Seems to me the hitch is prone to rust. The rust on the exhaust doesn't really bother me, since that is kinda typical. Also, the 4Runner spent it's life in Alexandria, VA until sometime in the last year.

If the bank still had a lien on it, she wouldn't have the title to be able to sign it over.

If the bank does still have a lien on it, do the transaction at the bank where the loan originated. That way, you hand thee bank the money that's owed on it and they hand you the title. Don't do business any other way - too much possiblity of losing your cash

Also note that in PA, the title has to be signed in the presence of a Notary Public and Notarized in order to transfer the title - although other states might not care if it's notarized when you transfer the title to their state
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Good info Keith. Thanks.

Uh....so this is starting to sound like a scam. An email I got:

I had listed the car in various locations with in auto trader but the car is located and registered in Alexandria, VA. I had some discussions with eBay and they told me that they can help me and you to finalize this transaction fast and safe. I want to tell you that we will use eBay in this transaction in order for both of us to be 100% protected and insured by them. eBay will supervise this transaction so there won`t be any problems. They will take care of the shipping and all the small details. You will get the car and you will have 5 days of inspection in which you can decide if you buy the car or not. If you won`t like my car (not your case) you notify eBay and you send the car back on my cost,if you want to keep it you announce eBay to send me the money (payment method and all the details will be set up by eBay) and you keep the car.

eBay will send you an invoice at your email in which you will see how to start this transaction and in which you can see that this transaction is legit. Please get back to me with your full name and full address so i can forward your details to eBay in order for you to receive the invoice
    Not sure what to think now. The first part about it being in Alexandria is consistant with carfax, however it was listed as Philly on Autotrader. They didn't reply to my question about the frame or the lein.

It is no longe listed on autotrader.

All the ebay hub bub is sounding really shady to me Dan....

Yeah, it sounds really fishy to me. She isn't answering many of my questions either.

Would be fun to make this backfire on them...sorta like that computer for sale scam a few years ago.

my advice: scam the scammer
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast