Thread: Q78 swampers and other lower cost 35" tire options for 4R 16" rim

Q78 swampers and other lower cost 35" tire options for 4R 16" rim

Q78 interco swamper
    BFG KM2
    simex treker
    silverstone m117

does anyone know someone running the Q78 on the 4R? the load rating is just 2500 (c) so it makes me think it might not be hard enough for a heavy runner. other then that the tire looks like a winner for a mostly trail rig.

KM2 is the next cheapest reasonable option and they are offered in a D load rating like id figure the 4runner needs.

i even looked for military tires but all the smaller 16" rims types are not available anymore

silverstone m117 extremes and simex trekers still are not available here....unless someone knows a Mexican source?

Re: Q78 swampers and other lower cost 35" tire options for 4R 16" rim

C rated tires are plenty for a 4Runner, D rated tires are only really "required" for full size trucks IMO. 2500lb/tire x 4 = 10,000lbs, far less than a 4Runner's GVWR.

I would recommend looking at Interco TrXuS M/T's, although it appears they are about $20 more expensive than a KM2.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Those q78's hook up mighty fine on da rocks
    Since yours isn't a DD the bias ply and the crappy MPG that come along with it won't bother your..

Who's tubbing you're firewall brother ?
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba
    Those q78's hook up mighty fine on da rocks
    Since yours isn't a DD the bias ply and the crappy MPG that come along with it won't bother your..

Who's tubbing you're firewall brother ?
    well im hopeing to beat it back a few inches but cutting it out may end up easier. who knows lol...you know im cheap i may never get thm lol

I am with Brian on this one, with agreeing with the weight and selection in tire.

I weight the 4Runner in one of my labs at school, in total with my extra tools and fluids and the full size space I was just over 4400lbs.

I am running a skinny version of TrXus MTs (255/85/16) and man those things rule, I have yet to get stuck with them, in heavy snow, or mud, or on rocks (okay so you don't see the first two as much as I do but still)

I got mine at Quadratec, OMG I know a Jeep Place, for a fair price I think ($160 a tire and I didn't have to pay shipping) but then again they are right aroudn the corner from school to.

There is my .02
    Though if it were to come to price, those KM2s seem to kick some serious booty themselves so....

Wow so I don't think I helped much lol!!

those trxus do look awful nice but im leaning toward KM2 at this point for its price and my pure rock location. ive come to terms with there being no good 35" deals like the retread 33" tires i run. KM2 are sold for roughly $235 in a 315/75/16 and that kills me haha. no more spinining up my tires on the rocks. ill get out and push before i eat up 1k worth of rubber lol

I was thinking KM2 for my 35's next but hear they are just too soft for DD duties.
    Which might end after I go 35's but we'll see.
    Regardless I don't think you can go wrong with the KM2's. Didn't you want a skinny 35 though ?
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba
    I was thinking KM2 for my 35's next but hear they are just too soft for DD duties.
    Which might end after I go 35's but we'll see.
    Regardless I don't think you can go wrong with the KM2's. Didn't you want a skinny 35 though ?
    well i read about lots of people getting 20k miles or more out of the KM2. there are certainly some having wear issues but on the other hand the q78 are deffinatly soft and have all the road issues of bias so i figure they will wear faster then a KM2

tall and skinny is really what i want but a little extra width is a plus for where i go anyhow even though my wheel wells wont apreshiate it.

20K out of a bfg mud?!? I'm at about 30k with these km1s.. idk what they were thinking..

My KM1s have at least 47,xxx miles on them, but admittedly that's mostly highway mileage.

I'd really hope the lifespan on the new KM2s is something similar...
    --- Gary