Thread: AWD tcase swap?

AWD tcase swap?

So the tcase in my 97 is developing some slop in the chain. I can feel it when I am above 45mph and get off the gas then get back on it.

Since my budget wont let me look at a lefty just yet, I was wondering if I could swap in the AWD style case that came in the 99 and 2000 models. AWD would be nice for all the snow driving I do out here. I'm pretty sure it would physically bolt in and line up, its just what kind of wiring mess I would be looking at to make every thing work.
    Diamond HP8 SAS / FROR Full Float Rear / DIY F&R bumper / Nitto 285s / Gen1 SC (in progress)

Re: AWD tcase swap?

I have a 2000 case as I was going to do this swap in my '97. Are you a 5-speed or a auto? I looked at all the wiring diagrams and had it somewhat figured out. You definitely need to get the transfer case ECU from a 1999 or 2000. It's basically a big relay control box for the sensors and actuators on the case. You will also need a electric ADD actuator for the front diff. The transfer case ECU controls it too.

I haven't done the swap yet because I don't have the ECU or ADD actuator. I also really want a lefty now instead.

I have an Auto. Hmmm, I really don't want to drop the front diff again, already did that twice this year. Not fun.

I'll see if I can find the wiring diagrams, I'm wondering if I can just hard wire the 4wd button on my current tcase lever to the new tcase. Then rig up a stand alone relay for the center diff lock.

Dang, that lefty is sounding better every day :-)
    Diamond HP8 SAS / FROR Full Float Rear / DIY F&R bumper / Nitto 285s / Gen1 SC (in progress)

I too would also like to see this done. I drive my truck a little more in the elements than go mud riding with it and i think it would be wayyy funner...
    I love my Toyotas....

FYI guys, 99-00 still had a vacuum actuator on the front diff...

I would just find another 97 t-case to throw it for now till you can afford the lefty.

Wow, forgot about this thread. I no longer have a vacuum front diff and now have manual hubs (sas'd) so the AWD case is no longer on my to do list. The wiring on the vacuum diffs is super easy so doing this retrofit I think would be pretty straight forward. But I'm gonna hold out for a lefty now.

i am interested in doing an awd swap. its on my "someday" list.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

forgive me, but what is a lefty?
    Desert Dune Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185W SSR-G l 3.0L TDI<br />&quot;DRIVE YOUR DREAMS&quot;