Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1984 22R Oxygen Sensor Tips

1984 22R Oxygen Sensor Tips

Okay fellas,

I know the newer toyotas (such as my 04 Taco) love their Denso/NGK spark plugs and some other parts and seem to have issues running much of anything else...

I'm checking up about O2 sensors for my 84 4Runner, I was wondering if anyone knows how picky this thing is going to be, I'm thinking... I can definitely go with something else, especially since the Bosch ones are $17.99 with a one year warranty, and the Denso one is $56.99 with only 3 month warranty.

So far though I can only find the upstream one..... I need to find the downstream one as well. Local AutoZone only has the upstream one....

Any other tips or tricks I should know?
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Re: 1984 22R Oxygen Sensor Tips

Okay guys... seriously. There are TWO O2 sensors, right? I dont have my 4runner in the same state currently, but I'm pretty sure, but all I can find online is the one before the cat....
    -Chris
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.

your '84 should only have one oxygen sensor. I think when my '88 had a 22RE there was only 1 . . . wait, is there one in the cast exh manifold? I know there was one under the driver seat, which would make 2 if there was one in the manifold. I remember the one under the driver seat was a 4 wire and I just used a universal 4 wire sensor with no problem (easy to wire - all 4 wire Ziconias work the same, except the relatively rare Titania Ox Snsr)
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

There is only one. My 91 22re has one under the driver seat as well and I used the 4wire universal with no problems. I checked my FSM's and it only shows one sensor for the 84 22r as well.

Okay guys..... I hopped under there last night, and well this is what I found. It appears that the O2 sensor is way up by the manifold on the exhaust. I have no idea what the thing by the cat is.....

Here is where I replaced the O2 sensor....... This is where the old one was....

it just has one wire, as did the old one that came out.

I also checked out the thing behind the catalytic converter, and it's obviously some sort of probe.... ALthough I dont know what.... there is a "cone" type of thing built into the corner of the cat, and this probe slides inside, and has a backing plate that bolts to it, and creates a seal on the end of the cone.

Help me out here guys. The "front" O2 sensor didn't seem to fix the issue I am having. What is this probe thing? is the front thing NOT supposed to be an O2 sensor? What IS supposed to be up there?

(BTW - I am almost certain that this is a cali emission car)
    -Chris

. . .

What exactly is your rig doing that made you think it was the oxygen sensor?

Well, when we did the body swap, we also had to swap wiring harnesses. (the body had an '85 EFI harness in it) I swapped my '84 carb harness back into this body. I am 99.99% I have everything hooked up right. It ran okay for a couple of days (it only moved back and forth in the driveway though. Then one day it ran like poop. I wasn't sure why. the plugs are wet and black (although not as much now) and smell like gas (STRONG) so I cleaned them, and put them back, and noticed that there was a wire hanging down under the body that wasn't plugged in. It was the probe thing, I plugged it up, and it ran much better. Like it should have. Then took it wheeling to river rock, and slowly through the day of wheeling it was getting worse. Then I took a big rock relatively hard into the exhaust (somewhere midships) but I can't find any kinks, broken welds, or crimped pipes. There are two rust holes in the cat, but they have been there since I bought it. It doesn't have very much power, the engine sputters and sounds horrible, I believe it to be running RICH. I changed the O2 sensor in hopes that it would fix the issue. It did not seem to, it may just need to be driven just a bit to be sure, but so far in the garage and in and out to the driveway, it still runs the same.

Help. I don't feel bad about the O2 sensor, as it was stock, and obviously old and dirty, so a new one can't hurt. But I want it fixed. I want to know what the probe is, where to get a new one, and how/where am I supposed to get a cat with that little cone thing built into it?
    -Chris

Oh. and if I floor it from idle, it just cuts out. if I let the revs build slowly, it seems to clear up near the top, but if I just punch the gas, it just cuts out like its about to die, if I take my foot off the gas, it resumes idle, if I leave it down, it dies....
    -Chris

Did you put the probe back in place of where it was originally?

I just checked the Toyota Database and I guess Toyota felt that 84 was to long ago to be worried about uploading the FSM to the site.

All I am getting is service bulletins which don't really help us much.

As far as o2 sensor type, really shouldn't matter to much for that year, plus its a trail only rig so I wouldn't worry to to much about it.

Your runner is carburetor isn't it?
    Did you check to make sure everything was in tune there?

I'll try to do some digging this week, but since this is my first week at the dealer I don't know if I will have much time to go hunting for an answer, but I will try.

It sounds like a fuel issue - it's been forever since I've played with carburetion but if you remove the air filter and look down the hole do you see a squirt of gas if goose the throttle quickly (easier to see w/ engine off). Tried a new fuel pump or filter? did you swap your carb fuel tank over also or just took the electric pump off. last thing off the top of my head, hook up a vacuum and see what it does (~$15 from any parts store - here's a good article on how to interpret)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast