Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear bumper replacement

Rear bumper replacement

I wanted to look into replacing my soon to be rusted out rear bumper (chrome).

Any write ups out there and is this easy to do. Do I need to remove the tow hitch as well?
    2002 4Runner SR5&nbsp; /&nbsp; 3.4V6&nbsp; /&nbsp; 4WD&nbsp; /&nbsp; 4-Speed Automatic&nbsp; /&nbsp; Sonoran Steel System 7.2 Lift Kit&nbsp; /&nbsp; BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 Tires&nbsp; 255/85/R16&nbsp; /&nbsp; Stubbs Welding Standard 1.5&quot; Rock Sliders&nbsp; / ARB Bumper / Safari Snorkel / BudBuilt Front Skid / PIAA 520 SMR 6&quot; Driving Lights /&nbsp; Deckplate Mod&nbsp; /&nbsp; K&amp;N Air Filter&nbsp; /&nbsp; OEM Bug Deflector&nbsp; /&nbsp; Husky Liners&nbsp; /&nbsp; Thule rack / Cobra 75 WX ST / Outdoor Logic Drifter Antenna Mount / Rugged Ridge Hawse Fairlead License Plate <br />Photos &amp; write-ups: http://frohbego.blogspot.com/

Re: Rear bumper replacement

its relatively easy to do, just a lot of bolts to take off, taking the hitch off would make it easier to get off though. and easier to get to the bolts attached to the body
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Whats a good site to order the parts from? Looks like its 3 metal bumper parts and i also want to replace the rubber foot step thats on top.
    2002 4Runner SR5&nbsp; /&nbsp; 3.4V6&nbsp; /&nbsp; 4WD&nbsp; /&nbsp; 4-Speed Automatic&nbsp; /&nbsp; Sonoran Steel System 7.2 Lift Kit&nbsp; /&nbsp; BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 Tires&nbsp; 255/85/R16&nbsp; /&nbsp; Stubbs Welding Standard 1.5&quot; Rock Sliders&nbsp; / ARB Bumper / Safari Snorkel / BudBuilt Front Skid / PIAA 520 SMR 6&quot; Driving Lights /&nbsp; Deckplate Mod&nbsp; /&nbsp; K&amp;N Air Filter&nbsp; /&nbsp; OEM Bug Deflector&nbsp; /&nbsp; Husky Liners&nbsp; /&nbsp; Thule rack / Cobra 75 WX ST / Outdoor Logic Drifter Antenna Mount / Rugged Ridge Hawse Fairlead License Plate <br />Photos &amp; write-ups: http://frohbego.blogspot.com/

Honestly you don't have to take the hitch off to get to it.
    I didn't.

parts.com I think is your best bet for those parts, or eBay.

Your in the neighborhood, I could help you if you'd like,
    God only knows how many times I have taken the bumper on and off my truck. I have to do it again to repaint mind and change the side wings.

Thanks yotafun. Does the plastic step on the top just snap into place.

I believe it has a few nuts to remove too, I can't remember mines been gone for so long lol!

But its really simple to get it all off.

plastic just pulls off
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

It's a whole process to get the bumper off. Remove the spare tire and then the hitch, it'll make it easier, that's only 4 to 6 bolts from the underside. With a screwdriver you can unclip the plastic shroud from underneath, then unbolt the bumper sides and remove them, once those are done, then you can access the rest of the bolts to take the bumper off.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

You guys really had to take your hitch off? I don't remember having to do that....

Taking the hitch off does make it easier to get at the bolts underneath.
    I'll need torches to get the bolts off mine though, they look like they came up off the ocean floor.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast