Thread: auto transmission rebuild

auto transmission rebuild

so i have.. i dunno 160k on the tranny, the output shaft sliced from the sleeve (again) but this time on the tranny side and not the input from the transfercase

regardless the transmission was slipping anyways, and just wandering if its going to be more to rebuild then get a new or used transmission New is 2364 i realized, i found a couple used from 500-900. tcase is fine, just need to get another 2wd tranny and output shaft cut down again but thats the gist of everything.

The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Re: auto transmission rebuild

My stepfather rebuilt his 02' trans when it went at 100K.
    The work was done by Cottman transmission, and I do not lie when I say that trucks trans still feel like the way we did when we bought it and the truck now has 215k+.
    Curious though why do you need a 2wd one? Don't you have 4wd now?

Another suggestion I have is a possible rebuilt trans from IPT performance.
    I know you don't have a supercharger but I hear they do good work, and the trans is solid for what we like to do.

Mine is slowly starting to go thanks to me putting on 35s.
    The fluid is still red so I am hoping a good flush like on 4Runner.org and a filter change along with trans cooler will help me out a little.

do i have to send my tranny out? its really only the output shaft, but id rather get a new one or just get a rebuilt one.. remember the cost on your stepfathers?

its still a 2wd tranny with tube adapter to tcase. never did swap transmissions

Yes you do have to send your tranny out for IPT.

Well back when this happen Toyota wanted 3500 for a rebuilt one to be put in, and that was with no warranty of a dinky one.
    Cotteman wants 3400 but at least they gave a decent warranty with it.

Ah okay, I thought you did do the full swap.
    I am curious if maybe not doing that swap is the cause of all your issues in that area?

no it was some grade 4 bolts the assholes from inchworm supplied me with that busted and the entire thing was moving off the transmission when torqued

regardless i may just go with a used transmission, dont have 3400 to drop, dont really have 2000 to drop would rather just pay the 800 to put it in and 800 or so to get the transmission

this guy on TTORA has a 2wd trans you might be able to use http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...d.php?t=157290

thanks for the link man

its not a 2001 but it may just work, i think most electrical crap through trannies was from 2000-2001 on 4wds and not really 2wds... push button being the difference