Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to re-gear with Zuk, where to get gears/install kit?

Time to re-gear with Zuk, where to get gears/install kit?

Well I've finally decided I've had enough of the whining rear diff, so I'm re-gearing to 4.88's (from 4.30's) for some serious extra umph Going to have Zuk do the regearing, he did an awesome job on my rear diff before including cryo bearings and a solid crush sleeve.

So, where should I buy gears for the front and rear, and a master install kit for the front?
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Re: Time to re-gear with Zuk, where to get gears/install kit?

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox
    Well I've finally decided I've had enough of the whining rear diff, so I'm re-gearing to 4.88's (from 4.30's) for some serious extra umph Going to have Zuk do the regearing, he did an awesome job on my rear diff before including cryo bearings and a solid crush sleeve.

So, where should I buy gears for the front and rear, and a master install kit for the front?
    Okay now its on!
    I am regearing to the same!
    I was hoping I would be first but alas it looks like again my truck will be the envy of yours.

I myself am going with yukon gears (though I think the fronts I got are precision) and then going with there master install kits along with a solid pinion spacer for the rear.

I don't know who is good to use on the west cost, I am using an east coast supplier myself that gives discounts to TTORA members.

Dueling anthracite 4Runners! In my defence, I have a supercharger an HID's, but you've got bumpers and sliders so we might have to call it a draw for now...
    Brian
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Are you going with Zuk and waiting until October or did you find someone else to do the re-gear?
    Lance<br />2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 (Sonoran Steel Stocker)<br />315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5&quot; BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

x2 on the Yukon gears, I got mine from Marlin + he has all the parts you need: install kit, bearings, solid pinion spacer, etc.

Remember to support the guys that innovate and dedicate themselves to our hobby - chain stores with multi-page magazine ads don't get my money, even if they sometimes have better prices
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

There is nothing solid about a crush sleeve. Surely you mean Solid Pinion Spacer
    But seriously. You think you need 4.88's with the charger? Personally I'd go 4.56's with that thing. Unless your an auto the 4.88's will be perfect even if you step up to 35's.

Check out ECGS for the gears. They give good prices to TTORA members.

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba
    You think you need 4.88's with the charger? Personally I'd go 4.56's with that thing. Unless your an auto the 4.88's will be perfect even if you step up to 35's.

"Need" is a very strong word, it's more like I want 4.88's for better oomph 4.56's would put me back to a stock drive ratio with the 33 in. Tires, but I want to do better than that. Rpms will be somewhat higher on the highway, but so will POWER!

I'll check out Marlin Crawler and Yukon gears, thanks guys.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba
    You think you need 4.88's with the charger? Personally I'd go 4.56's with that thing. Unless your an auto the 4.88's will be perfect even if you step up to 35's.

"Need" is a very strong word, it's more like I want 4.88's for better oomph 4.56's would put me back to a stock drive ratio with the 33 in. Tires, but I want to do better than that. Rpms will be somewhat higher on the highway, but so will POWER!

I'll check out Marlin Crawler and Yukon gears, thanks guys.
    Rock on then. Good luck with the regear. You'll love it!
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Navigator

mmm... regearing... i need to finish mine like now... i have the rears done.. <.<
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Hi, Brian. I'm the guy who bought your wheels. I regeared last fall to 4.56's with my manual and 32's. I used Nitro gears and their master install kits, because that is what my installer (Slee Offroad) recommends. Nitro supplies everything you need and it all works/fits well together. I am very happy with the gears and set up. The Nitros are quiet and have a good reputation for durability.

My question to you is: Who will do your front clamshell diff? Zuk doesn't do front diffs. There are offroad shops in my area who won't touch Toyota front diffs because they are so tough to set up. I settled on Slee Offroad because they specialize in Land Cruisers and have regeared a ton of them. They had also regeared a Tacoma and a 3rd Gen 4Runner and didn't hesitate to accept mine. It worked out great. If you end up burping gear oil out of the front diff breather while working hard in 4lo, or hear a whirring noise from the front diff, I may know why and how to fix it. But that's another story. The burping and whirring don't happen to everybody and is more likely if you add an ARB front locker (which I did) and have a 1" diff drop. Let me know how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast