Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Mosque near Ground Zero, what's your take?

Re: Mosque near Ground Zero, what's your take?

I liked this response I read by one person about the issue:

"Islam existed thousands of years and at least a 100 years in the US decades before 9/11.

A mosque is simply a place of worship where muslim Americans go in to do their prayers for 2,3 or 5 minutes then leave.They are people,have jobs and families.

Those who vehemently oppose the mosque near ground zero are not the families of 9/11 victims but republican fundamentalists and extremist christians who exploit the "unfounded" SENSITIVITY they themselves misled people to believe in with their malicious media.

Who allowed the 9/11 victims to link their sensitivity to islam as a religion and not to a small group called al qaida ?

When the jews remember the holaucaust do they refer to Hitler religion and churches ?

You may argue that 9/11 culprits used religion to justify their deed.Well muslims or any religious group cannot stop someone if they decided to act on their own interpretation. It would be different if Bin Laden was a muslim scholar whom muslims turn to for advice and consultation of religious matters but he is not. The greatest muslim scholar whom muslims listen to spoke against terrorism.

If i recall,shortly after 9/11 CNN broadcasted (or reported) Bin Laden's motive for the attack as : "In response for the US support of Israel in its aggression against the palestinians"
    IMHO, that's a political statement not religious at all.

It is lame that some christian preachers jump on this issue to score some points against islam out of "religious competition" and market it to the mainstream as "sensitive issue to the families of 9/11 victims""

that quote didnt hold much water.

fisrt off everyone knows islam is a old religon. older then christianity im pretty sure.

everyone should understand muslims are overwheliming normal and a mosque is a "church"

no, 9/11 victims dont sopport this, thats absurd

al qaidas is sopported by multiple areas of the islamic world and we didnt make up the word jihad nor does anyone not know what it means now

hitler was sick and did everything for his country not his religion

palistinians are muslim and that is why islam and al quida sopports them

it is horrible that im sure some preachers are using this as a soap box against islam

so is this really sopposed to open on 9/11? or is that just rumor? id imagine thats not true. eitherway no one can answer why it has to be there of all places and why no one was thoughtfull when they picked the location. if they were really naive enough to not understand how people would feel, then they do now but are still set on the location? none of that adds up unless there are other motives.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    Kevin can you show me these documentations of mosque being said as a trophy.
    Not doubting you but just having trouble finding it myself.
    And any time I have see trophy associated with a mosque its always been right towards this ground zero incident.
    first thing up on google was this artical. its recent but im sure its historical facts are someone valid
    http://www.hudson-ny.org/1496/mosque...feated-enemies
    its really not so far fetched to think this is whats going on. im pretty sure this is common practice for all religons in one time or another of there history. you come in to town, beat up the people and put your symbole where the golden cow used to be...pretty basic stuff when a religon is at the top of the food chain for a culture. im sure there are prime examples during the crusades of christianity.

Navigator

Avy: in response to your "how close is too close?": The building that previously occupied that lot was damaged by the fuselage of one of the planes flown into the towers... That is why it's too close.

I have a quote of my own:
    "... a mosque is a fine idea -- someplace else. If the Japanese decided to open a cultural center across from Pearl Harbor, that would be insensitive, if the Germans opened a Bach choral society across from Auschwitz, even after all these years, that would be an insensitive setting. I have absolutely nothing against Islam. I just think: Why there?"

That pretty much sums up my feeling as well.

This article in the New York Post (i have no idea how good this reporting agency is, but the website doesnt seem like a tabloid or anything "psuedonews", but not being familiar with it i could be wrong) states that the scheduled opening day is 9/11/2011: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...WS0lXuAnQau5uL
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Navigator

although, i just found another article that simply states that the initiative plans to break ground before that time, which given the complexity of constructing a building of that size, seems more plausible to me.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ar_ground.html
    - Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Crinale
    Avy: in response to your "how close is too close?": The building that previously occupied that lot was damaged by the fuselage of one of the planes flown into the towers... That is why it's too close.
    ok thats why they are calling it ground zero. that makes sence now. i was wondering why the media wasnt really latching on to the whole two blocks away angle on the story. i figured it was just in the area of debris when all the dust was kicked up, but yeah if a plane peice actualy hit it then thats pretty dang close

Navigator

just a note, did some research, and the building (formerly a Burlington Coat Factory) had a piece of the landing gear from flight 175, that crashed into the second tower at 9:03am, crash through the roof, and through all floors to end up in the basement. Enough damage was caused to condemn the building, causing it to remain abandoned until now.
    - Kevin

Gotcha

I am kinda done discussing myself lol.

I say let them build it and suffer whatever consequence they know they will endure.

I guess I feel it shouldn't be thought of being built for some ulterior motive, but just as a place of worship.

Troyboy, I have a few points.

- Islam does not predate Christianity. Jesus is recognized by Muslims as a prophet.
    - Al Qaeda uses Islam as a means of advancing its political/religious philosophy of establishing a Qaliphate again (Empire ruled by a Muslim king, enforcing sharia law).

Radical Islam caters to those who are afraid, like the KKK. It caters to old men who are afraid of losing control of their families by their children being independent. It also caters to young men who have no future and Al Qaeda, Hamas, Hezbollah, offer pride and belonging. It also caters to the ignorant who know nothing about the west but what their ignorant Imam tells them and watching the scantily clad women on German TV and both lust after them and are intimidated by them. How many doctors have blown themselves up? How many husbands have dropped their masonry trowels and picked up a Kalashnikov? The problem is despair and fear, not religion.

Palestinians are supported by Al Qaeda and other extremist groups because its a way of attacking Israel indirectly. It’s a Cold War mentality of avoiding direct conflict but inflicting damage. If Muslims actually cared about Palestinians, Jordan, Syria, and Egypt would have open borders, but they don’t. Jews were buying land from underneath the Palestinians before the beginning of WWII. This was called ZIonism and the goal was to return Jews to the Holy Land. The Jews came with money, bought the land from the Syrian landlords, and evicted the locals, Palestinians. Muslims sold out other Muslims because it was profitable. Since the creation of Israel, every neighboring country has given everything but citizenship to Palestinians and instead kept them in settlements (ghettos) and deceived them with the hope of restoring Palestine to them. This is only to keep them out of their own country.

Building places of worship on conquered land is natural. The cathedral in Seville was built on a mosque after the Spanish retook southern Spain. The Pantheon in Rome was a pagan temple and made a church in the 7th century. I’ve been to a dance club that was formerly a church. You can comb human history for religious changes in places of worship and it doesn’t make a trend, it makes good business. Places of worship are expensive, especially the nice ones.

Your points about Islam have less to do with the religion than they do with human nature. Poor and ignorant young American men turn to gangs as a way of bolstering their ego and showing they’re tough. The same men call women “ho’s” as a means of moral control over women. Fearful men in Afghanistan turn to the Taliban for the same reason as Americans turn to gangs and these same men confine women to burkha’s because they want to maintain moral control.
    96 4Runner, 2.7L 4WD<br />&quot;Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition. &quot; - Jefferson

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast