Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spindle gussets? anyone running them?

spindle gussets? anyone running them?

Im interested because ive gone to 35" tires and worry about the added leverage ive put on the componets. from the reading ive done i now understand that the spindle arm is pretty much stress free and floating between your two ball joints until your suspension bottoms out.

for the money id just get them since they are so cheap but my tire may not have enough clearance if they were installed.

has anyone been running and have experience or not running them without incident?

these nice total chaos ones are what im currently interested in

Re: spindle gussets? anyone running them?

i won a set at the jambo last year but havent put them on. i need to find someone who can weld them on for me, as im a bit scared of doing it myself to a major suspension component that could fail if i did it wrong.

for the price, i think they are totally worth it, though i have not heard or seen any failures of the upper mount.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I too won a set the year I went to Pismo.
    Like Sean I for the same reasons haven't put them on.

I have had no issues without them on so I think that's why I have been procrastinating...

It's forged, not cast, correct? From what I gather, the way to do it is to toss the sindle in an oven or grill and get them as hot as you can (evenly, of course, no torches) before pulling it out, welding and then back in the oven for a slow cool down.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

I could make a set of those with 10 dollars in material. They wouldn't be dimple died and whatnot though.

Just saying.
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    It's forged, not cast, correct? From what I gather, the way to do it is to toss the sindle in an oven or grill and get them as hot as you can (evenly, of course, no torches) before pulling it out, welding and then back in the oven for a slow cool down.
    pretty sure you are right about the forging.

still, i dont think my fiance nor wife would be all too happy about me putting spindles in the oven.

biggest thing for me is, when you remove the ball joint, you usually end up destroying it, same for the wheel bearing, and mine are brand spankin new (well as of a couple of years ago, still not a job i want to do again)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    still, i dont think my fiance nor wife would be all too happy about me putting spindles in the oven.
    Sean, dude, I didn't know you were into Mormon Fundamentalist groups?
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

bugger.

yeah one wife is plenty for me...

i meant something like:

fiance nor mother
    wife nor mother
    better half nor mommy dearest
    woman with hand to hand combat training nor woman with a cast iron frying pan

its sunday, its hot, ive had a stressful weekend and im tired. leave me alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    bugger.

yeah one wife is plenty for me...

i meant something like:

fiance nor mother
    wife nor mother
    better half nor mommy dearest
    woman with hand to hand combat training nor woman with a cast iron frying pan

its sunday, its hot, ive had a stressful weekend and im tired. leave me alone.

I saw that too. Oven? No problem. It's events like using the kitchen sink as a parts soaker, dish washer as a parts cleaner, bath tub as... well you get the picture. Some how my wife saw the picture of me using my skid plate as a door stop (just checking) and grilled me about why I had it in the house. Best was when we moved in and she wanted to change the toilet seats. One was so suck on there I got to run air house through the house and use a cut off wheel and air hammer to remove it.

hmm all this talk of ovens and stuff. theres no way this could just be tacked top and bottom and then slowly fill in the rest over the course of an hour or so?

is the worry weakening the metal of warping it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast