Thread: First Aid Kits - Post Yours!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First Aid Kits - Post Yours!

While I was preparing this writeup, the funeral procession for a fallen soldier passed by my house. Sgt. Raymond Alcaraz was an Army Medic who was killed in an IED attack in Afghanistan on Aug. 31. This thread is dedicated to him.

After Dad's little scrape in Big Bear, my humble first aid kit needed to be replenished. I originally purchased a basic kit from walmart, and added things like gauze and pads to it. It served me well for a while, but it was apparent i needed something a little more complete.

My new kit includes all usable pieces from the old, plus updated supplies and more items that are needed for an in-vehicle first aid kit.

First, I chose a container. The previous plastic clam-shell rarely closed correctly, and was vastly too small for my needs. I choose a small ammo can as my first aid box. The rubber seal is still good, so it is water tight, and should survive anything i throw at it. I painted it bright red and put a white cross made of reflective tape, so it is obvious what it is, and the box can be used as a reflector at night.

Second, I had to choose the contents. Alot of my old kit was still good, so most of it stayed. I also added quite a bit of items, and in the quantity needed to sustain a moderate injury for several days, or to transport a severely injured person to medical help. Some of the items should only be used by someone with medical training. Luckily Alexus is a former EMT. This kit, combined with items commonly found in a vehicle or on a person, and some knowledge, should cover most every emergency situation. This kit also must serve more than just trauma duty, offering relief from common and frequent ailments found where ever this vehicle travels. This kit will never leave the vehicle.

I separated items based on their usage into ziploc bags to keep everything neat and clean.

Bag #1: Tongue depressors [splints, etc], gloves, snake bite kit [usefulness is questionable, depends on circumstances], bandaids [more below], moleskin [blisters hurt and are prone to infection], (2) ACE bandages [Sprains are common]

Bandaids: the box is stuffed. many different types from butterflies to large pads.

Bag #2: (2) Roll gauze [good for securing gauze pads to arms and legs, or wrapping fingers], (2) Chemical Cold Packs, Medical Tape, Anti Fainting medication [keep people from passing out]

Bag #3: (6) Surgipads [for wounds that bleed alot], (30) non stick gauze pads [for scrapes/burns]

Bag #4: Vaseline [Many uses], Carmex [Chapped lips are uncomfortable]

Bag #5: Imodium AD[diarrhea can lead to dehydration and is plane uncomfortable!], Benadryl Gel [mosquito bites and poison oak, etc], Pepto Chewable[upset stomach is common while camping], Tylenol[fever], Benadryl Pills[allergies, both annoying and life threatening], Triple Antibiotic, Super Glue [Close a wound or with tissue to cover a minor wound], Motrin [Pain], Aspirin [Heart Attack]

Bag #6: Hydrogen Peroxide

It all fits snugly in its new home:

Hopefully this will help you assemble your own. When you do, or if you already have one assembled, POST IT HERE!
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 05-31-2013 at 09:04 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.