Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt-On Tundra Brake Upgrade for 96-02 4Runners

Re: Bolt-On Tundra Brake Upgrade for 96-02 4Runners

Completed my retro over a week ago and all I can say is..... I wished I knew about this upgrade when I first bought my 4runner!!!! The stopping power between stock and the Tundra has no comparison. If your on the sideline thinking if you should do this upgrade.... Just do it! You won't be dissapointed.

I did the upgrade about three weeks ago along with installing the SS 7.2 kit and changing out my CV axles. Talk about a fun job. Damn is all I can say the brakes are awesome!

Now here is my question. I just got my LX 450 wheels back from the powder coater. I'm going to clearance them before I have my new tires mounted. Did you guys take any precautions when grinding away material from the caliper? For example did you cover up the rotor as much as possible or take the caliper off the vehicle?

Or am I being an thinking that those little shards of metal could mess up my pretty new brembo rotors?

Thanks,

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by JHRRLD
    Did you guys take any precautions when grinding away material from the caliper? For example did you cover up the rotor as much as possible or take the caliper off the vehicle?

Or am I being an thinking that those little shards of metal could mess up my pretty new brembo rotors?

Thanks,

Josh
    You could be an , but not for being worried about ruining your brand new brakes.

The metal shavings won't "mess up" your new rotors as much as they could potentially damage your new calipers. I threw a rag over the top of the calipers while grinding to keep any shavings from falling down into the pad/piston area of the calipers. Once the grinding was done, I flooded the exposed rotor/caliper areas with brake cleaner and wiped everything down with 2nd rag. Then turn the rotor enough to clean the rotor area hidden behind the caliper and you should be good.

HTTH.
    -Scott<br />&#039;01 Black SR5 4x4 w/ Black Pearl&#039;s: Detroit Truetrac | Tundra/OME 890s w/ Tokico Trekmasters | SS Diff Drop/Panhard | Tundra rotors/calipers | Rear Diff Breather Extension | Hayden cooler | K&amp;N | ISR | Deckplate | Jet Black PC&#039;d LC 16x8&#039;s w/ LT265/75R16 Cooper S/T&#039;s

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly
    Quote Originally Posted by JHRRLD
    Did you guys take any precautions when grinding away material from the caliper? For example did you cover up the rotor as much as possible or take the caliper off the vehicle?

Thanks,

Josh
    You could be an , but not for being worried about ruining your brand new brakes.

The metal shavings won't "mess up" your new rotors as much as they could potentially damage your new calipers. I threw a rag over the top of the calipers while grinding to keep any shavings from falling down into the pad/piston area of the calipers. Once the grinding was done, I flooded the exposed rotor/caliper areas with brake cleaner and wiped everything down with 2nd rag. Then turn the rotor enough to clean the rotor area hidden behind the caliper and you should be good.

HTTH.
    Cool, thanks. Did you end up having to clearance your PC'd LC rims too?

Nope. Shaving the calipers was enough to get my PC'd LCs to clear...
    -Scott<br />&#039;01 Black SR5 4x4 w/ Black Pearl&#039;s: Detroit Truetrac | Tundra/OME 890s w/ Tokico Trekmasters | SS Diff Drop/Panhard | Tundra rotors/calipers | Rear Diff Breather Extension | Hayden cooler | K&amp;N | ISR | Deckplate | Jet Black PC&#039;d LC 16x8&#039;s w/ LT265/75R16 Cooper S/T&#039;s

Very basic question concerning buying reman'ed calipers:

Is there much of a difference between 'em? I don't figure there could be but, to illustrate my point:

CARDONE Unloaded S13WE (one) : $85 + $50 core.
    Raybestos Unloaded S13WE (one): $95 + $30 core
    Fenco Unloaded S13WE (one) : $96 + $50 core

This info taken from two different sites ( autozone+partsamerica)

I'm thinking of going with the cheapest one and calling it a day. Would I be right in doing so?

&#39;96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.

Just did this over the weekend and LOVE it. Braking feels so much stronger now. I did run into a prob with one of the reman calipers - where one of the pins had been air chiseled out. during the rebuild, it looks as though they tried welding it and we didnt notice until they were on. As we started bleeding the brakes, fluid started gushing out. So the truck sat on the jack for 2 days until a new caliper arrived

Just make sure to inspect the calipers prior to starting the install
    <br />98 4Runner Limited<br />1999 Suzuki GSXR750 - Sold Apr/08

i've gotta do this mod!! more i read this thread, more i feel the need of bigger brakes.

few questions:
    a.) i want to start looking for junkyard calipers first, what do i need to ask? as in what model/year, V6 or V8, 2WD or 4WD, etc.
    b.) i want to do a brake fluid flush while i'm at it, what'd be the best fluid for that? traditional or sythentic, DOT3 or power steering fluid.
    c.) i'm thinking about replace the stock brake lines to SS line, will it worth the extra money and time?
    d.) OEM pads or Hawk
    e.) OEM rotors or Brembo

thanks.
    94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.

2nd Gen, I can answer your last 3 questions, or at least give you my .02
    I would upgrade the brake lines, mine need to be replaced I think and probably wouldn't hurt to do it.
    A lot of guys here have just gone OEM on the pads, probably will be fine for the upgraded setup, as for the Hawk, my friend is running them on his stock set up and couldn't be happier, i think its more a preference on money...
    Brembo rotors, A friend of mine with a Tundra has them and he has not had an issues with them at all, I just think the OEM stink, at least on the runners...

Soemthing Tells me I got the wrong calipers....
    I think I may have gotten the slightly bigger ones....

Some one care to enlighten me lol!
    I am thinking my deal wasn't so much of a deal anymore...

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast