Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt-On Tundra Brake Upgrade for 96-02 4Runners

Re: Bolt-On Tundra Brake Upgrade for 96-02 4Runners

Does anyone know how the new Tundra calipers bolt on? I have larger wheels on my 1999 so I'm not worried about how large the caliper is. Anyone have a diagram of these calipers?
    1999 Turbocharged 4Runner<br />2008 4Runner

i very much doubt they would work. if you want the larger calipers, buy the 231mm models and trim the dust shield. i dont think it would be worth the extra time to engineer a solution to use the new tundra calipers.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by tour4fun
    Does anyone know how the new Tundra calipers bolt on? I have larger wheels on my 1999 so I'm not worried about how large the caliper is. Anyone have a diagram of these calipers?
    That sounds like a major headache because they are significantly larger than the previous version and would require custom brackets to make work. I'd just bolt on the 231mm calipers as others have suggested.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_4runner

That sounds like a major headache because they are significantly larger than the previous version and would require custom brackets to make work. I'd just bolt on the 231mm calipers as others have suggested.
    Are these that different to the current 2 bolt bracket?

I currently have 355mm Stoptechs on, so I'm not worried about the size of the rotor. My concern is the bracket.

1999 Turbocharged 4Runner<br />2008 4Runner

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    i very much doubt they would work. if you want the larger calipers, buy the 231mm models and trim the dust shield. i dont think it would be worth the extra time to engineer a solution to use the new tundra calipers.
    Unless perhaps you wanted the truck to indo and flip end over end, in that case I'm sure I could fab something up.

Aaron
    I can, because I don&#039;t know that I can&#039;t.

Quote Originally Posted by tour4fun
    if your looking for more braking power than the tundra upgrade will offer you should do rear disk conversion and the tundra upgrade together.
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

Okay I got a situation folks.
    Now that I get discounts I will be picking up a rebuild kit for my calipers.
    However before I do so I need to tackle this little issue:

The Dumb (*&^ that sold me the calipers forgot to mention that one little thing wrong with them (probably why he took them off his truck to begin with.

So how would you all go about getting a broken bleeder out of a caliper?

go pick up a set of screw outs. be prepared to retap the caliper.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

If he comes to my house sometime next week im gonna try and do it as nicely as possible but we may have to retap.

Im thinking ill drill a small pilot, try any number of extractors I have and well should worst come to worst we have no choice but to drill and retap. So long as i preserve the threads as much as possible we should be ok.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I did this mod on my 4runner yesterday...absolutely fantastic braking power now and best of all, no more warping

Thanks to everyone for the advice (especially MTL_4runner).

I bought (remanufactured) S13WE calipers, rotors and promax pads for a 2001 Tundra and the total bill after core return was $360.00 including tax in Mississauga, Ontario.

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast