Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: Bolt-On Tundra Brake Upgrade for 96-02 4Runners

Re: Bolt-On Tundra Brake Upgrade for 96-02 4Runners

x2 on Rock Auto, their prices are great and they accepted my old 4runner calipers for core. Loaded calipers will make the job easier too.
    2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4-Dub<br />TRD supercharger,&nbsp; Toytec Coilovers, OME 890&#39;s, 285 Duratracs

So rather than start a new thread, I figured I&#39;d just post in here. I&#39;m going to need to do a front brake job pretty soon, so I figured I might as well start collecting parts for the Tundra upgrade. A few specific questions-

- Given that I have 17" wheels (and don&#39;t plan to ever go back) and .75" spacers, I can fit pretty much any brakes I like. Is there something else I should be looking at? I&#39;m wondering if I can get a better deal on a set of 231mm calipers, or if the 199&#39;s and the 231&#39;s are basically the same price. TundraSolutions has posts about a TSB which replaced the 199&#39;s with the 231&#39;s due to vibration, do any 4Runner guys with 199&#39;s have vibration problems? Are the 231&#39;s better? If there was a performance brake package for the Tundra in the $600 range, I would seriously consider it...

- I&#39;m looking at EBC USR7158 slotted rotors from Summit Racing, objections?

- Know of any place I can get loaded calipers with quality ceramic pads? What about semi-loaded so I can buy performance pads separately?

Thanks for the help.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

I have the 231's, and I am satisfied with them,
    I just need to get my rear brakes done so I don't keep eating through pads and rotors in the front.

My package I got off of e-bay cause the owner went with a Performance brake option for his Tundra that I think Rafa from Northridge was posting up here once.
    Mine came with fully loaded calipers and slotted rotors.
    I liked the rotors, granted I don't know the brand, but they seemed to preform well.
    Next I will be going with brembo slotted rotors since brembo is a good name.

I had to replace one of the calipers due to bleed breaking off inside the caliper, and with my discount at advance, I got the semi-loaded caliper for $100 after core.

All said and done the final total for my swap was $300 ($200 for the original package which was a deal)

The brakes again have been working beautifully since then.

If you want, I have a set of calipers sitting around that I can go return for core for you and I can get you the bigger calipers semi-loaded, and then once you get them installed you can send me your old calipers (looking to possibly do a rear disk conversion in the future of the runner)

I just put hawk pads in stepdads 4runner and he has been thrilled with there performance as well as the brembo rotors, he is light on the brakes but when he is hard on them he's hard on them and no issues (and he is still running Stock 4Runner calipers.

Hope some of this makes sense

Personally speaking, a slotted or drilled rotor will not really do much imho. Our trucks dont generate enough braking heat to really take advantage of it. Course, I could be wrong, but imho brembo, AC Delco or bendix blanks should be fine.

As for pads, I highly recommend the hawk LTS pads. So far I have about 25k on mine with very little wear and despite the rear axle seal killing the one side of the rear shoes it still stops quite well.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    I have the 231's, and I am satisfied with them,
    I just need to get my rear brakes done so I don't keep eating through pads and rotors in the front.
    I didn't realize 231's fit in a 16" wheel, nice!

My package I got off of e-bay cause the owner went with a Performance brake option for his Tundra that I think Rafa from Northridge was posting up here once.
    Mine came with fully loaded calipers and slotted rotors.
    I liked the rotors, granted I don't know the brand, but they seemed to preform well.
    Yeah I figured I'd buy a set of "new" (remanufactured) calipers, hadn't really found where yet though.

Next I will be going with brembo slotted rotors since brembo is a good name.
    I want slotted too, to help retain braking power in wet conditions. Not drilled though because I hear they plug up with mud.

I had to replace one of the calipers due to bleed breaking off inside the caliper, and with my discount at advance, I got the semi-loaded caliper for $100 after core.

All said and done the final total for my swap was $300 ($200 for the original package which was a deal)

The brakes again have been working beautifully since then.
    Dude that's a great deal, I'm budgeting $500 for the whole shebang...

If you want, I have a set of calipers sitting around that I can go return for core for you and I can get you the bigger calipers semi-loaded, and then once you get them installed you can send me your old calipers (looking to possibly do a rear disk conversion in the future of the runner)
    I'm liking this idea, we should get in touch through PM in about a month when I've put away the moolah.

I just put hawk pads in stepdads 4runner and he has been thrilled with there performance as well as the brembo rotors, he is light on the brakes but when he is hard on them he's hard on them and no issues (and he is still running Stock 4Runner calipers.

Hope some of this makes sense
    I'm looking for a performance ceramic pad, something like the Hawk or StopTech ceramics.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Yup, I just had to shave the sides for my old 6 spoke rims, but my limited have plenty of room.

Yeah, "new" reman work, and yeah when your ready shoot me a PM and we can work it out.

I recommend Hawk Pads Myself

Hey Brian, I went with the 199's because I heard that the spare tire may not fit the 231's (I never checked though...). Not a big deal I guess, but I didn't want to play musical tires if I ever got a flat. I have yet to hear any testimonial regarding the 231's being any better than the 199's. If you go with reman calipers, I highly recommend Raybestos from Rock Auto; they're the cheapest you'll find and their quality has been superb so far. There's also part #'s for semi-loaded as well

Here's the 199mm part #'s again:
    Left loaded caliper = Raybestos RC11039
    Right loaded caliper = Raybestos RC11040

FWIW, For the 231mm 13wl Calipers:
    Left loaded caliper = Raybestos RC11549
    Right loaded caliper = Raybestos RC11550

Even with reman. calipers, premium rotors and core charges, it was around $250 I think.
    2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4-Dub<br />TRD supercharger,&nbsp; Toytec Coilovers, OME 890&#39;s, 285 Duratracs

I found some old pics when I was cleaning up my old laptop. So I updated the Tundra caliper re-build wiki and put some links in to the pictures. I cant remember if these pics ever got posted so here they are. If you have seen them before then

Rebuild thread:
    http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...aliper_rebuild

Rotor differences

Caliper differences

(note the 16" limited calipers appear to be the close to the size as the 199s, but the tundras
    allow for the larger rotor, if the tundras are bigger its not by much)

Before

After
    Diamond HP8 SAS / FROR Full Float Rear / DIY F&amp;R bumper / Nitto 285s / Gen1 SC (in progress)

I was planning to go with a tundra upgrade on my 974runner, but decided against it. After doing some research, I ordered SS lines, carbon metallic pads (can get at Oreileys auto) and autozone rotors (lifetime). Friend of mine went with CM pads on hs LC-80 series and said the pads really make a big difference. I will keep you posted with results.
    97 runner, elocker, lifted and a few other things

I don't think its as much of a pad issue as it is a rotor warp issues.
    I installed stock brake pads and rotors on stepdads 4Runner and while it feels okay, it still could be an improvement, and next time his rotors start to warp I plan on doing the upgrade.

A friend of mine running a 98 with the same lift as me drove my truck for a week while I worked on his and he said its night and day difference and will be doing the swap himeself soon.

Do keep us posted, new finding are always great.

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast